Sugar in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
So I transfered my first ever batch of wine to the secondary today. It was a dandelion wine, I tasted a sample and it tasted great. However, it was noticeably watery. As I was cleaning out the primary fermenter I thought to myself, "My this yeast sediment is quite gritty" until I realized that the grittiness was coming from undisolved and therefore unfermented sugar.

Nevermind how I managed to botch that part of the process, my question is what do I do now? Should I rack it again in a few weeks and add some more sugar then? (making sure it is disolved this time) That is my inclination but I'm worried about there not being enough yeast left to ferment out the new sugar. Should I perhaps just add the disolved sugar to the fermenter now without racking?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

First of all don't worry about the yeast. They will reproduce to fill the environment so if you have a clear wine and add sugar it will cloud back up and start rocking again. I would not rack it again but rather add the sugar in the current fermenter. Here is how I do it.

1. Measure out the sugar in a glass measuring cup.

2. add enough wine from the must to hydrate the sugar but not increase the volume. There is a lot of air between sugar crystals so you can add about 1/3 the sugar volume in liquid and it will not increase the over all volume. in other words 1 cup of dry sugar needs 1/3 of a cup of liquid.

3. Put the sugar in the microwave until it comes to a boil then stir it until the sugar dissolves. This will create a syrup that will mix easily to the must.

4. Pore the hot liquid directly in to the carboy. The thinness of the sugar liquid and the heat differences will cause it to mix up on its own with out stirring. Even though the sugar is hot enough to kill yeast, it will not be an issue as the volume of the carboy is way more than the sugar and will quickly cool it.

I have used this technique with fantastic results.

Thanks, Are you sure I shouldn't let the boiling sugar cool down, at least a little bit, first?

I don't let it cool because while it is cooling it could get contaminated. It doesn't have to be a rolling boil just hot enough to sterilize and dissolve the sugar.

Adding more sugar will give you more alcohol, but I don't think it will have much effect of the watery taste you describe. Sounds like the must was a little too diluted before you started?

Latest posts

Back