Screw-cap bottles for beer (NOT beer bottles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarzBock

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever re-uses screw-cap bottles, like liquor bottles, for bottle-conditioning beer.

I want to put some beer in a square Jagermeister bottle. It's a 5th (750mL ?), and the cap is a screw-cap. It does have a little bit of a rubber coating on the inside of the cap. Will this seal good enough to bottle-condition?

I have made soda for my kids in plastic 2L soda bottles (pinch of yeast and it carbs up in a matter of 48 hours). The bottle gets really tight (can't squeeze it due to the pressure), thus, the CO2 is being contained.

I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't be able to fill glass, screw-top liquor bottles with beer. Can anyone shed some light on this matter for me? The search engine didn't come ujp with much for _beer_ (there is a lot regarding wine, but no carbonation involved there).

I'm getting lazy, and using big bottles is starting to sound good after bottling up 8 or so batches. I'm running out of bottles to fill, and I still have a lot of beer in the works.

Thanks
Marz

I'd worry that the threads formed in the very thin aluminum cap would give way with any substantial carbonation. Also, rectangular bottles aren't meant to act as a pressure vessel. There is a very good reason beer bottles are round.

That being said I've never tried what you are saying. If you are curious why not do one bottle, leave it in a plastic bucket with a lid and let us know what happens in a few weeks. Personally I'd guess the threads would stretch allowing the seal to be compromised before the glass would break.

Latest posts

Back