Rings on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martymoat

Reaction score
So i was in the basement gathering up some brew to take to relatives for christmas and i have about 5 different batches in bottles and im noticing that not all but a good amount of the bottles at the surface of the beer up in the neck have what looks like what i would describe if you had water and left something like dish soap in a glass. you can see stuff on the surface not like fuzzy mold but a layer or swirl almost like a dusting left of head and they have a small dry ring around where the liquid level stops. in the lighter beers of course you can see it more than the darker ones not so much. So im thinking its an infection but then i grabbed 2 different botles that had this and popped them open and both me and the lady could not detect any off aroma or flavors. From the 2 i popped open and the way they looked to me i though they would either gush or taste like sourpatch kids or something dead but not the case the stout tasted like stout and i opened a steam beer that i ranndled that tasted fine and still had a big hop flavor. My procedure is not any different than what i would assume others are doing.

i soak bottles in oxy-clean, then blast with high jet water rinser attached to sink, then soaked in sani clean or star san and before i empty them i use a wire brush in the bottle. i then dump out the sanitizer and let them drain upside down over paper towles. from their i bottle them all from an already cooled carbed kegs with the mini racking cane stopper trick.

im thinking if could be some residue from the sanitizer, Or also im wondering if cause i then let the beers come back to room temperature under pressure if the yeasties maybe are re floculating a wee bit witch to me would make some sense.

has anyone ever noticed this, what do you think.....?:tank:

Depending on how soon after bottling they may simply be (the highly elusive) bottle krauzen. If they are ales, the process of carbonation is the same as fermentation...a small krauzen sometimes forms and falls to become the yeastcake at the bottom of the bottles.

This evidently is quite common to those who prime with DME, but can occur with regular corn sugar as well, especially if the fg wasn't quite at terminal gravity.

I believe it is more common than we think, a lot of new brewers who stare incessantly at their beer and bottles start panic threads about it...WHere most experienced brewers just bottle, box and forget them for 3 weeks, so we miss this phenomenon but it seems perfectly normal.

Back