Refrigerator temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
Was shopping for a propane burner at Home Depot today - (I'll probably buy a Bayou 3066A set with a burner w/135K BTU burner and 30 gal pot for $49) and saw a thermostatic control designed for forced air duct fans. It's a Duc Stat for $29. Doesn't have a calibrated adjustment but does have a screw adjustment to with gradations from cold to hot. It works off ambient temps so if it's workable it could be placed in the fridge and the fridge plugged into that. It would be a trial & error adjustment. It's Duc Stat at www.suncourt.com

Has anyone tried adapting anything like this for a fridge fermenting chamber?

Just looking at the website, it doesn't say anything about the variation it allows. If it allows a variation of 10F or something, it would be useless for us. Did it have any kind of indication on the package?

As an FYI on the burner, a quick search shows that the 3066A comes with a 10PSI regulator, which would give you ~55K BTU. Home Depot seems to have a problem with mislabeling these things. Not saying that's a problem, many people use 55K burners with great success, you should just know what you're buying.

Edit: found it in their FAQ, it's selectable 3F or 6F. I don't see any reason this thing wouldn't work, other than having to run the electrical cord in and back out of the refrigerator.

Scimmia said:
Edit: found it in their FAQ, it's selectable 3F or 6F. I don't see any reason this thing wouldn't work, other than having to run the electrical cord in and back out of the refrigerator.

Or you could drill a hole in the side of the fridge and align the sensor hole on the back of the unit with it. It may also be possible to open the Duct Stat and extend the wiring to the temp sensor to make it remote sensing, assuming it's not a thermocouple.

Just make sure that your fridge doesn't draw more than 5A under initial compressor kick-on.

FWIW I have that "tripod" Bayou Classic burner, and while it's "not bad", it feels less stable than the square model they have. Just my $0.02, It's not "HORRIBLE" by any means.

Latest posts

Back