When and How to add the Raspberries??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan8678

Reaction score
I promised the wife I would make her a Raspberry Wheat, and since she lets me spend all of our money on homebrewing I had to agree. Here's my question, do I want to add the raspberries to the secondary or right to the keg? If I add them to the secondary, how should I do it? In a bag or just squeeze the juice into the carboy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

With fruit you typically boil the fruit for 10 minutes or so to pastuerize, then add to your secondary and rack the beer onto the fruit. Do not add fruit to your keg unless you want a big mess and gunked up lines.

I used organic frozen raspberries in my chocolate raspberry milk stout. It was about a 6-gallon batch, used 2, 16 oz packages (it was too much, even for this flavorful beer), but I thawed the berries in a pot and cooked at 160*F for 20', dumped them in a secondary carboy and racked the beer onto them, and agitated. After a week, I racked the beer off the berries into another carboy to settle, then bottled 2 weeks later. Came out delicious, but it needs a couple weeks for the flavor to mellow and taste right, it is a little bitter though.

I used 1 can of Oregon Fruit Puree. Poured it into the secondary and racked wheat on top of it. Came out real nice after only one week in bottles. If you have a 5 gal carboy, remember you can't fit all the fruit and 5 gals of beer in (I had an overflowing carboy).
DO NOT USE EXTRACT FLAVORING!!!
Good luck.

Thanks for all the help! I ended up boiling some frozen raspberries and squeezing the juice into the bottom of the carboy. Also added some of the squeezed raspberries. Looks like the color I was going for, looking forward to giving it a try in a couple of weeks.

You BOILED the fruit? You just added all that pectin from the fruit to your beer. That is not going to be the most enjoyable taste. You need to pasturize the berries at about 150F for 10-15 minutes... if you boiled them you are going to extract all the pectin from the fruit and add that to your beer. Did you already do this??

The Pol said:
You BOILED the fruit? You just added all that pectin from the fruit to your beer. That is not going to be the most enjoyable taste. You need to pasturize the berries at about 150F for 10-15 minutes... if you boiled them you are going to extract all the pectin from the fruit and add that to your beer. Did you already do this??

Sorry, misspoke there (mistyped?). I did pasturize the berries, i was between 155 and 150. It's been a long day, time for a homebrew!

Sweeet, I am buzzed off my Hugh Heffe... but yah, that dude that said to boil your berries, woah, dont boil anything but wort... grains and berries alike, do not like getting boiled up.

Back