Fermentation problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spedward82

Reaction score
First time brewer here, brewing a trippel from a kit. I pitched the yeast at a little over 70, instructions said to pitch once cools down to under 70. I initially thought it might have been too warm but it seemed fermentation kicked off right away. There was a thin layer of foam at surface and about one bubble every one to two seconds. Overnight the foam seemed to dissipate and the air lock bubbles slowed to several per minute. That night i checked it and all activity seemed to stop, i checked internal temp and it had reached 75. I moved it to a cooler place but now it just seems to be wort with a huge cloud of yeast at the bottom... so can some one tell me if this batch is dead in the water and if so can it be revived?

Probably not dead, fermentation happens rather rapidly at high temps so it might appear as if nothing is happining but it is. If you moved it to a colder place you should be good just wait a few weeks, check gravity and you should be good to go.

What yeast? You might want to keep it warm. Some Belgian yeasts prefer wrn temperatures.

Back