Using roasted cocoa beans / nibs. Dry "hop" or steep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate cherry stout and it turned out overwhelming cherry. I want to attempt to add some chocolate flavor using chocolate nibs. Would it be better to dip a quart or so out and steep the nibs then pour it back or just drop the nibs in a sack and add in a dry hop manner?

Edit: Beer is kegged.

I put 8 ounces of nibs in a small tupperware container then pour in just enough unflavored vodka to cover and let it sit for 2-3 days with an occasional shake. Then I dump that in a carboy with the rest of the stout brew for a week or more before kegging...

Cheers!

bourbon combined with cocoa nibs does not impart vanilla flavor, if thats what you mean.

i soaked 8oz cacao nibs, 8oz of red stag bourbon, and 5lbs of frozen cherries for a week and tossed them into the secondary, on my Bourbon Barrel Choco-Cherry Stout

bourbon combined with cocoa nibs does not impart vanilla flavor, if thats what you mean.

i soaked 8oz cacao nibs, 8oz of red stag bourbon, and 5lbs of frozen cherries for a week and tossed them into the secondary, on my Bourbon Barrel Choco-Cherry Stout

Oh, my bad, I thought you meant just the bourbon by itself.

day_trippr said:
i put 8 ounces of nibs in a small tupperware container then pour in just enough unflavored vodka to cover and let it sit for 2-3 days with an occasional shake. Then i dump that in a carboy with the rest of the stout brew for a week or more before kegging...

Cheers!

+1

I put 8 ounces of nibs in a small tupperware container then pour in just enough unflavored vodka to cover and let it sit for 2-3 days with an occasional shake. Then I dump that in a carboy with the rest of the stout brew for a week or more before kegging...

Cheers!

Do you think this would turn out okay in a beer already kegged?

After another 10 days cherry flavor is still waaayy over the top. I am soaking 8oz of cocoa nibs in brandy for a few days, then do I pour just the liquid in the keg or nibs and all?

How do I add that?

Like put a vanilla bean in with the nibs soak.

Just a little bit, not a whole bean. You could put a single drop of extract in the keg, or put a very small piece of a bean in with the nibs. You're looking for just enough vanilla to help contribute to and accentuate the chocolate flavor.

Okay, soaked 8oz cocoa nibs in Brandy for 3 days. Drained off the liquid. (boy did it smell good) Added that to my keg. I'll give until the weekend then the taste test.

Back