Hinged False Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannedry

Reaction score
My new false bottom came today. It is stainless steel, hinged, and has a hole drilled for the dip tube. $59.95 + shipping from a place called Climax Homebrew, out of Climax, MI.

It seems sturdy and well built, looks nice, and is quite a bit less expensive than most of the other hinged false bottoms I have seen for sale online.

http://www.climaxhomebrew.com/index...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Cheers! :mug:

I have one from climax, one from jaybird. The one from jaybird is about $20 more and in my opinion, far worth the extra $20. Somewhere on the thread about jaybirds false bottoms I compare the two side by side.

That said, the FB from climax is a nice one - just not as nice as the ones from jaybird.

I have one from climax, one from jaybird. The one from jaybird is about $20 more and in my opinion, far worth the extra $20. Somewhere on the thread about jaybirds false bottoms I compare the two side by side.

That said, the FB from climax is a nice one - just not as nice as the ones from jaybird.

I was actually about to buy one of Jaybird's... then came across the Climax one at $20-$25 less. I do agree, Jaybird's does LOOK nicer, but they are made from the same gauge stainless, and have the same size holes and spacing... so I suspect they perform exactly the same. I figured, I would take that $25 I saved on the false bottom and build myself a nice stir plate for my yeast starters :rockin:

From my post over on jaybird's thread...

I've had a FB from jaybird for a while. A while back someone here listed a FB from another vendor which on paper is very similar. I've gotta say - the fit and finish of jays is better. Both are stainless, both are well made, they're made of the same gauge of stainless, both are for full size kegs and fold.

*Jays folds flat because the hinge is tack welded rather than bolted to the plates. This was likely a cost saving decision (shipping and hardware) but for storage it's great.
*There is no gap between plates on jays - on the other vendors there's a gap a bit wider than the perforations in the plates. I'm not worried that this will cause grain to pass, but it's annoying.
*The FB from jay just seems to have more thought put into the design and it's better executed.

16261d1278209845-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-jaybird-closeup.jpg

False bottom from Jaybird. Note that there is NO gap between plates.
4776864370_15b110bdde_b.jpg

16262d1278209878-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-climax-closeup.jpg

False bottom from climax homebrew. Note there is a sizable gap between plates.
4776230285_e243f1120d_b.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note the gap.
16264d1278209933-jaybirds-stainless-false-bottoms-folded.jpg
4776863526_9212ab36dc_b.jpg

Climax on left, jaybird on right. Note that jaybirds folds nice and flat.
4776863830_95218172b7_b.jpg

So I have a question...given that there are some differences between the 2...other than the cosmetics of Jay's being able to lay flat (which I cant see why that makes any difference), and the hinge is welded rather than bolted (again cosmetic), and there is a small gap between down the center of the Climax FB, why should we pay $20 more for Jay's?

Just putting the information out there.

I have and use both FB's. I use jaybirds in the mash tun, the one from climax in the boil kettle as a hop stopper. Folding flat is nice for removing the FB from the BK, and for storage at those times ya don't wanna store it in the vessel it does its work in.

Ultimately, the gap bugs me. I'd gladly pay the $20 upcharge for a jaybird FB if some sucker would do it ;-)

Details on the homebuilt one?

All I did was measure the bottom of the keg it was going in, plasma cut out a circle to size, cut it down the middle with a thin cutting disc with an angle grinder, tack welded two pieces of stainless steel piano hinge cut to size, and for the legs, I copied the sabco brew magic design false bottoms, and welded 3 stainless steel nuts on the bottom of the false bottom, in chosen locations, and used stainless steel bolts that screwed into the bottom of the nuts and allowed for me to screw them in or out to get me to level the false bottom for a perfect fit. The whole project took a whole 30 minutes out of my day, between the cutting, welding, to a finished product. This false bottom I made for a local brewer, and sorry to say, I dont have the finished photos, but I cut out two more sets of preforated stainless cirlce to make two more for myself, and as soon as I put them together, I will post the pictures. I like to procrastinate, so it probably wont be soon! :)

I have both false bottoms (jaybird's and Climax's). I had a stuck mash using the Climax on the 5th batch I used it. I have never had a problem with the 3 batches I used Jaybird's on. Not sure if it has anything to do with the gap at the hinges but Jaybird's seems much more solid. Anyway, they may work the same just my experience...

So what you're saying is "Spend 20 on making your own. Put some of the $60 ya saved towards the price of the plasma cutter, the welder, etc:tank:"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that $20 is also if you buy in a pretty damn big lot...

All I did was measure the bottom of the keg it was going in, plasma cut out a circle to size, cut it down the middle with a thin cutting disc with an angle grinder, tack welded two pieces of stainless steel piano hinge cut to size, and for the legs, I copied the sabco brew magic design false bottoms, and welded 3 stainless steel nuts on the bottom of the false bottom, in chosen locations, and used stainless steel bolts that screwed into the bottom of the nuts and allowed for me to screw them in or out to get me to level the false bottom for a perfect fit. The whole project took a whole 30 minutes out of my day, between the cutting, welding, to a finished product. This false bottom I made for a local brewer, and sorry to say, I dont have the finished photos, but I cut out two more sets of preforated stainless cirlce to make two more for myself, and as soon as I put them together, I will post the pictures. I like to procrastinate, so it probably wont be soon! :)

So what you're saying is "Spend 20 on making your own. Put some of the $60 ya saved towards the price of the plasma cutter, the welder, etc:tank:"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that $20 is also if you buy in a pretty damn big lot...

Theirs more than one way to skin a cat brother. You can just as easily make a jig for an angle grinder to cut perfect circles, and if you go to a local metal supply, or weld shop they wouldnt charge you much to take their scrap to make that false bottom. Instead of welding, bolt it together like that one false bottom. Bottom line is that you can make those false bottoms for a heck of allot less than what you can buy them for, not including shipping. Im trying to give you options to save you money thats all, but if you find it's easier to sit on the couch in front of the computer, and whip out your plastic devil and charge it by all means. I find it more satisfying to not only brew my own, but build my own as well. I only use online brewing stores to shop around for my next idea!;)

As the old saying goes there are several ways around the barn.

Personally I don't like to loose the open percentage by using hinges (hinges are for doors)

The other way around the barn:

MVC-780S-1.jpg

Couple of slits 180 degrees from each other and slip it into the keg.

MVC-777S.jpg

MVC-779S-1.jpg

God Bless
Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman

Theirs more than one way to skin a cat brother. You can just as easily make a jig for an angle grinder to cut perfect circles, and if you go to a local metal supply, or weld shop they wouldnt charge you much to take their scrap to make that false bottom. Instead of welding, bolt it together like that one false bottom. Bottom line is that you can make those false bottoms for a heck of allot less than what you can buy them for, not including shipping. Im trying to give you options to save you money thats all, but if you find it's easier to sit on the couch in front of the computer, and whip out your plastic devil and charge it by all means. I find it more satisfying to not only brew my own, but build my own as well. I only use online brewing stores to shop around for my next idea!;)

I am having the hardest time finding scrap remnants of perforated stainless! I'm a huge fan of DIY projects and I want to make a false bottom myself. Any suggestions? Not super excited about drilling a million holes into the sheet metal that I already have. :)

Back