How can I use light extract in place of amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've got a great recipe for a porter that called for amber extract. I've heard that the difference between light and amber is something that has been seeped to give it a different color.

What would I need to seep in order to be able to use light extract in place of amber?

Thanks.

Steeping some chocolate malt specialty grains would help with the color. But, porter recipes probably already call for that even when using amber or dark extract so you might still come up a bit light on color.

It is a good habit to use only light DME. This way you have a better understanding of formulating recipes in an AG sense of things.

I've got a great recipe for a porter that called for amber extract. I've heard that the difference between light and amber is something that has been seeped to give it a different color.

What would I need to seep in order to be able to use light extract in place of amber?

Thanks.

Do you have any Beer Software? Most of them will convert it for you.

Sounds good.

I can get huge bags of DME for cheap but I don't want to compromise the recipe. If it's just color, I'm not worried about it. But if there are any flavor differences, I'd like to match it.

I do have a trial of Beer Smith, but I haven't messed with it enough to know how to do the conversions of light and amber malt extract.

Thanks.

Back