Man Law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
According to one of the commercial beer tv ads, Man Law states "no fruit in beer." I read an older post about Corona using lime to hide the skunkiness. What's up with Blue Moon and the orange slice? Same tactic?

I don't know. But I absolutely hate fruit in beer. And I hate "flavors" in beer even more. So a fruited beer with coriander is particularly vile to me.

Man law, huh? LOL!

what about vegtabling a beer? you know, a splash of spicy V-8 in a coors. nothing better for breakfast!:rockin:

In college, we used to drink tomato beer in the morning. Usually beer left over from the kegger the night before. Goes great with scrambled eggs.

I don't know. But I absolutely hate fruit in beer. And I hate "flavors" in beer even more. So a fruited beer with coriander is particularly vile to me.

Man law, huh? LOL!
+1

what about vegtabling a beer? you know, a splash of spicy V-8 in a coors. nothing better for breakfast!:rockin:

That is supposed to be vodka not coors;)

That is required to cover up the taste of Coors. That stuff even kills the fish.

No no no, that is me "on" that stuff that is ripping the lips off of fish in canada every year. About a 12 pack of that stuff some cigars and a trolling motor and im a fish killing SOB.

Man law, huh? LOL!

I'm with you, Yooper. Fruit has NO place in beer. I cannot STAND the taste of Hefe's. Too bad you're not a

Heh.

I have a keg of 7.5% ABV Cherry Wheat in the kegerator.

A half slice of lemon MAKES a good pint of dunkelweiss.

Nothing like a little lime every now and then.

:p

(and, the so-called "man law" crap was in a series of MILLER LITE commercials
25191896.puke.gif
)

The orange in Blue Moon is a little different - Blue moon is brewed with dry orange peel, so adding a fresh orange just brings that flavor out a little stronger.

No no no, that is me "on" that stuff that is ripping the lips off of fish in canada every year. About a 12 pack of that stuff some cigars and a trolling motor and im a fish killing SOB.

I like the sound of that, but I would still spring for something besides that down stream water your choking on.

I say drink what you want to drink. If you like fruit in your beer, good on ya. However, if you're beer tastes like crap, well, fruit's not gonna make much of a difference (see - Corona).

I'm not a big fan of having to add anything to my beer after it is bottled/kegged - it is just one more step between me and sloppy happiness. I can handle fruit added in primary if done right (my raspberry wheat ale is still the overall #1 pleaser), but prefer to let fruity flavors come out naturally via the yeasties (see my Belgian obsession and silly Banana Stout experiments)

I like how Miller said "Don't fruit the beer," yet about 6 months after that they released their lime beer. Go figure.

I don't mind a little lemon in a hefe sometimes, but true fruit beers like raspberry wheat just make me gag for some reason. Not that I'd put anyone down for liking it, I say drink what you like and I'll do the same.

I am not sure what the lime in Corona is for( one rumor was that the lime is wiped around the rim of the bottle to kill bacteria), but beers like Belgian Wit's with orange and American Hefe's with Lemon are to accentuate the other natural flavor's in the beer.

Personally I enjoy a good wit and hefe. And I absolutely love some of the fruit beers out there like Lindemens Kriek and Framboise.

I was under the impression that the lime in Corona was to mask the inevitably
skunky flavor of serving imported beer in CLEAR bottles.

Also, good beer is good beer.

If you hand me a badass fruit derived beer, I'll drink it happily. And that being
said, I haven't had too many that were good. By rule of thumb I don't buy a
beer if it's a blueberry wheat, raspberry this and that or whatever.

There are some great pumpkin beers though, so whatever.

Parade Magazine suggests the following:

We Fall for "Tradition"

Some people believe that squeezing a lime into a Corona beer is a time-honored Mexican custom that came about to enhance the beer's taste. Others maintain that the ritual derives from an ancient Meso-American practice designed to combat germs, with the lime's acidity destroying bacteria. The truth? The Corona-and-lime ritual dates back only to 1981, when, reportedly on a bet with his buddy, a bartender popped a lime wedge into the neck of a Corona to see if he could start a trend.

This simple act, which caught on like wildfire, is generally credited with helping Corona overtake Heineken as the best-selling imported beer in the U.S. market.

The more stressed-out we are by the financial crisis and other problems, the more we unconsciously adhere to familiar, comforting rituals. Marketers know this full well and exploit it.

PARADE Magazine | How Subliminal Advertising Works

I wanted that to be a separate post, but I believe it is the same with Blue Moon. Any good wit beer shouldn't have to have fruit added to make it "better". I believe it was all marketing. Blue Moon (Coors) was giving out bags of oranges to bars when it came out to encourage this new "tradition" and it gives the uninitiated a new experience.

Fruit slices should not be in beer. It is just weird.

I like how Miller said "Don't fruit the beer," yet about 6 months after that they released their lime beer. Go figure.

THIS.

Nothing but marketing crap. Kinda like "cold brewed", "Rocky Mountain water", "True Pilsner", etc. Some ****** one day told me they put lime slices in Corona to kill any bacteria (Mexico water, of course).

And all this time I've been blowing money on StarSan when I could've just used lime juice. :rolleyes:

i've put fruit in my beer. a lemon in a hefe, and an orange in a wit. i've put salt in my beer, and i've put sweetner in a schwarzbier. and i am a man.

I can't bring myself to put a lemon in my Hefes...

On another note, has anyone ever tried that "Clamato Bud light" crap I see at gas stations all the time? I tried it once on a whim... not a good idea, not at all...

I can't bring myself to put a lemon in my Hefes...

On another note, has anyone ever tried that "Clamato Bud light" crap I see at gas stations all the time? I tried it once on a whim... not a good idea, not at all...

Yes. I made myself finish it, just to teach me a lesson. And I haven't forgotten. Blecchhh.

Parade Magazine suggests the following:

Stop right there. You're point, no matter how factual, is null and void. Why? Because you read Parade Magazine! :D

I always say if the brewer wanted more fruit flavor in his beer, he would have put it in during the boil or fermenting or aging process. Not after the bottling process.

But then my dumb@ss goes and pours Peach soda in a Paulaner. Yes it was New Years eve, Yes I was VERY DRUNK! I apologized to the bottle and glass (that was still 75% full) the next morning.

But at the same time, you are buying the beer, you are drinking the beer. If you enjoy it more with fruit, vegetables, Severed toes, whatever, then please add away.

There's times I want to try it just to see what it tastes like, but I don't think I hate myself that much.

IMO, regardless of how/when it originated, I think it caught on because it does mask the skunk. And I've always thought that; If Corona tastes better with a lime then the equally vile Heineken should taste better with it too. Both beers are total skunk-fests imo.

I don't generally add anything to beers BUT...I generally don't question the Germans when it come to beer either.;) When I went to Germany (most time was spent in Munich and south of it...aka Bavaria) many pubs put a thin lemon slice (or half a slice) in the bottom of the glass and poured the beer over it. They didn't squeeze the lemon or anything. And it wasn't just hefes that they added it to. If the stars were aligned right the lemon slice would float to the top...then sink to the bottom...then float...then sink...then float...and we never gave it enough time to sink again.:D Prost!

A buddy of mine does the tomato-beer every morning (or midday as the case may be) whenever we go to Vegas...I just have a spicy bloody mary (cuz ya know...they're magical and all).

Nothing but marketing crap. Kinda like "cold brewed", "Rocky Mountain water", "True Pilsner", etc. So

You can't be a brewer (or a distiller, or vintner) and say the water doesn't matter. Water sources are extremely important to breweries all over the world and some of the oldest will refuse to move because they would lose their water. Now does that go for Coors? I have seen the water running into Golden, and I hope not. But Fresh Rocky Mountain Tap Water does have a special place in my heart:mug:

I have absolutely nothing against fruit or spices or chocolate or anything added to beer as long as it creates a good beer.
Basically, I like good beer. Period.

I'm not a fan of fruit in my beer . . but I'm ok with beer in my fruit!. Case in point - a good shandy on a hot day - 70% lager and 30% lemonade.

Or the best damn margaritas I've tasted:
1 can frozen limeade concentrate (the size that says to add 54 oz water)
mix up limeade using 4 12 oz light lagers instead of water
add 12-16 oz tequila
serve in pint glasses over ice

Most people won't even know they're drinking beer. They'll just be raving about how good they are. You'll catch yourself thinking "jeez, why does this margarita taste so good?! Oh, because I'm also getting to drink a beer!"

I'm not a fan of fruit in my beer . . but I'm ok with beer in my fruit!. Case in point - a good shandy on a hot day - 70% lager and 30% lemonade.

Or the best damn margaritas I've tasted:
1 can frozen limeade concentrate (the size that says to add 54 oz water)
mix up limeade using 4 12 oz light lagers instead of water
add 12-16 oz tequila
serve in pint glasses over ice

Most people won't even know they're drinking beer. They'll just be raving about how good they are. You'll catch yourself thinking "jeez, why does this margarita taste so good?! Oh, because I'm also getting to drink a beer!"

This sounds awfully close to something we made in college (especially great for pi phi socials) called Electric Lemonade. We substituted the tequila for 110 "vodka" of course, that **** was lethal... Awesome, but lethal...

Also, I know there is no way to say this without sounding like I'm up me own arse but I was in Bavaria for a long time and never had a beer with lemon in it, that is some craziness (in a good way)...

:mug:

Also, I know there is no way to say this without sounding like I'm up me own arse but I was in Bavaria for a long time and never had a beer with lemon in it, that is some craziness (in a good way)...

Maybe they saw us coming with our white shoes and thought we'd want it.:D It surprised me too...first time it happened one of us said that we didn't order a hefe and the beer wench said it wasn't a hefe it was...whatever they had ordered (can't remember but it wasn't cloudy). We hit a LOT of pubs and only a few did it. It was kinda refreshing though...had they squeezed a lemon wedge into it it would have been too much but just a thin half-slice with the beer poured over it was actually kinda nice. The lemon dance was just a bonus.:)

I went to an Octoberfest party two years ago, thrown by a guy who lived in Munich for a few years, and there was a cooler of lemonade there, right next to the beer keg -( Paulaner.) He told me that this was common in Germany. I thought the Shandy idea was English.

You can't be a brewer (or a distiller, or vintner) and say the water doesn't matter. Water sources are extremely important to breweries all over the world and some of the oldest will refuse to move because they would lose their water. Now does that go for Coors? I have seen the water running into Golden, and I hope not. But Fresh Rocky Mountain Tap Water does have a special place in my heart

Sure, absolutely water matters. But the whole Coors water pitch is nothing more than marketing. A megabillion dollar brewery like that has the water filtration and modification capabilities (expensive RO systems) to make that water taste like anything they want...Munich, Burton, urine, etc. :p

This sounds awfully close to something we made in college (especially great for pi phi socials) called Electric Lemonade. We substituted the tequila for 110 "vodka" of course, that **** was lethal... Awesome, but lethal...

:mug:

Sounds like a pitcher of "Strip and go Naked" that my wife and her friends mix up on the deck in the summer

Back