What would you call this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
It was going to be a schwarzbier but I really didn't want to tie up my fermentation chamber for 2 months because I'd run out of beer so I am pitching WLP001 and going to ferment it nice and low around 57. But I'm at a loss on what this type of beer would be referred to as. I'm pretty sure there is no style it fits into. I'm calling it a Dark Munich Ale. Recipe as follows:

batch 5 gallon
All grain BIAB
yeast WLP001

8lb Munich
8oz Carafa III
4oz Carraaroma

1oz Spalter @60 min
.5oz Saaz @ 30 and 15

OG 1.046
FG 1.011

ABV 3.9%

Thanks in Advance.

I like the name Dark Munich Ale. Why not invent your own beer? Isn't that what homebrewing is about? I say call it "Fort Hood German Porter"

If you aren't entering a competition it doesn't really matter. Maybe a dark lager? Looks tasty though

Well it's defiantly not a lager. I did toy with the idea of turning it down and pitching lager yeast with it but I don't think I'm going to get that adventurous. My buddy that just started brewing stopped by while It was mashing yesterday and said "I can tell this is going to be a good one". I can too. I'm excited, but I'm always excited. I am also a little disappointed in myself for not going through with my first lager. Probably late this fall when I don't need my mini fermentation chamber for every beer.

Beginner question!

This sounds awesome, but why would the schwartzbier appellation no longer be appropriate, and what is odd about your new batch?

Taking notes, here... thank you! (And best of luck!)

Back