First taste of my HB'd sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
It was very tart and acidic after 4 months. Almost a lemon like acidity. Will this mellow a little over time, or will it be this aggressive 5-6 months from now?

You may want to post more info about your brew.

How long in primary?
Did you secondary, if so how long.
Recipe?

Initially it sounds like green beer, as in not quite properly conditioned. It normally is described as a green apple or cidery taste.

If it's "sour", that's not good. That is generally due to infection, either lactobacillus or aceterobacter. If it's an infection, it'll get worse not better.

Recipe was mostly 2 row and some 80L crystal and wheat. 1.063 OG and 1.008 FG currently. 3 weeks in primary, and 13 weeks thus far in secondary.

The flavor wasn't really the type of green apple I'm used to. I was straight up like sucking on a lemon.

What was the yeast you used? Any physical stuff put in the secondary? The subject line makes it look like maybe you wanted a sour beer, but the thread makes it look like you're unhappy with the result - yes/no?

Lemony is likely lactobacillus, which in sour styles like Berliner Weisse would be a dominant flavor. Even just a few days worth of strong lacto activity can make a "shandy-like" lemon flavor.

No No No...I was making a sour beer, I was surprised about how the sourness has presented. I put enough IBUs that Lacto shouldn't have survived ~15 ish.

My yeast:
Wyeast Roesalare Blend
Jolly Pumpkin Dregs
Ommegang Zuur Dregs
Goose Island Fleur Dregs
Goose Island Sofie Dregs
Goose Island Matilda Dregs

Oak added at the two month mark. About .5oz, boiled three times and soaked in Riesling wine.

It definitely isn't the acetic acid sort of twang...I'm familiar with this from Rodenbach. This is a strong, aggressive sour flavor.

I have never made a sour, but from what i've read you are nowhere near the peak of it. Comment back in 5 months lol. Sours need lots of time.

Latest posts

Back