In the middle of brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
First brew........proofed yeast....some foam but noit a lot.....not real churnyt....is 1/2 - 3/4 inch of foam on top of yeast sugar mixture a good sign of good yeast??

First brew........proofed yeast....some foam but noit a lot.....not real churnyt....is 1/2 - 3/4 inch of foam on top of yeast sugar mixture a good sign of good yeast??

I don't know- I don't "proof" my yeast. A simple rehydration is what most yeast manufacturer's instruct on the label. If your instructions say to proof, then I guess it's just fine!

That's a new one to me, I've never heard of anyone mixing water with sugar in order to proof brewing yeast. I proof my yeast with water when making dough for beer bread but that's about it. As Yooper said, normally people will rehydrate their dry yeast with just water. Some just pitch the packet right into the carboy.

Maybe by proof he meant starter? If you have activity you should be ok. I'd suggest in the future if you're making a starter you don't use sugar, if that's what you did. The yeast will not be as efficient at converting the other more complex sugars you will want them to attack.

There's talk of proofing the yeast in Palmer's online book:

http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html
Re-hydrating Dry Yeast
1. Put 1 cup of warm (95-105F, 35-40C) boiled water into a sanitized jar and stir in the yeast. Cover with Saran Wrap and wait 15 minutes.
2. "Proof" the yeast by adding one teaspoon of extract or sugar that has been boiled in a small amount of water. Allow the sugar solution to cool before adding it to the jar.
3. Cover and place in a warm area out of direct sunlight.
4. After 30 minutes or so the yeast should be visibly churning and/or foaming, and is ready to pitch.

Note: Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast's nutrional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves.

In fact I did it on my first batch. Funny enough, I spilled the "proofed" yeast and pitched a second packet that was just rehydrated normally because I didn't have time to wait around for bubbles. My thought is it stems from the days of people buying "beer in a box" kits with a random packet of yeast taped into them that might be years old and kept in not-so-great conditions.

Also judging by the pictures on that page just a bit of foam is fine. Any foam means something is churning in there.

Yep...it was Palmers book I was following.....

Anyway....everything seemed to go smooth....yeast had activity...and I suppose now I know I dont need to "proof" yeast.

That's a new one to me, I've never heard of anyone mixing water with sugar in order to proof brewing yeast. I proof my yeast with water when making dough for beer bread but that's about it. As Yooper said, normally people will rehydrate their dry yeast with just water. Some just pitch the packet right into the carboy.

1st edition of the John Palmer book had this, the current version doesnt, he said it was wrong and the yeast manufacturers dont recommend it.

Back