Is this the right time for my Diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

My lager was 1,081 SG and is now 1,030 SG.

Is this a good time to increase the temperature for 24-48 hours for the Diacetyl rest?

Palmer says the last 24-48 hours for the Diacetyl rest, others have told me that I should do it when fermentation is 60% complete, and on the internet i read that I should do it once it is 75-80% complete.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Marius

I have not brewed a lager yet, but yes I have heard the same advice, once fermentation starts to slow and is about 60-70%.

However, you may not need a diacetyl rest. It is not a necessary step for lagers, only if yours produced diacetyl. It wont hurt to do it, but you can taste test it and see if you taste the diacetyl or not then decide if you need it

Hello,

I have no idea that tastes like. At the minute it doesn't taste like a finished lager, thats for sure. I am not sure how diacetyl or a buttery flavour in my beer tastes like. I do not have enough experience to separate all the different flavours and tell what is what.

The fermentation has been slow the last week, but hydrometer tells me it is still going slowly.

Marius

Hello ny friends.

Should i wait untill it is finished fermenting for this rest or when is a good time you think. Some more opinions wud be great.

Thanks,
Marius

You can wait until it has finished, if you like. That's what I do. Frankly, I don't usually do a diacetyl rest until it is in the keg (unless I've tasted the beer and know I have a diacetyl problem with that batch). Actually, I don't so a diacetyl rest at all unless I find I need to.

TL

Back