Newbie needs advice on explosive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEDJARRETT

Reaction score
I am realtively new to homebrewing. This is my fourth batch, but I have had great success with my first three. This one is an Imperial IPA kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. They recommended double pitching the yeast (White Labs California Ale V WLP051). Fermentation was vigorous and foam filled my airlock, so I switched to a tube into a pitcher of water. I am fermenting in a basement closet that's about 63 degrees in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. When I went to check on it this morning, I found that it had blown the carboy cap off. It was just one of those orange universal rubber carboy caps. It shot foam 8 feet into the air and all over the ceiling. Upon closer inspection I found that the opening in the carboy cap had become clogged thus causing the build-up of pressure. The question I have is, is this beer ruined or can it be saved? It had been sitting in that closet uncappped anywhere from a few hours up to 24 hours. I cleaned it up and recapped it. It is still fermenting well. Just wondering if it will be drinkable? Also, is there a better way to rig up the overflow tube in the future? Thanks. Now I need to get busy repainting that closet!

You should be fine. It has pretty much happened to most of us at some point or another.

I am guessing a larger blow off tube like a half inch or a larger fermentation bucket it in your future.

Keep a eye on the temp though because it will heat up in there with all the yeast doing the wild thing

forget the airlock, and the rubber carboy cap, or take the carboy cap and get a 1 inch hole in it and use 1 inch tubing (fits snug in most). Basically increase the size of your tubing. :)

I wouldn't worry about it, if it blew your cap off, there was a lot of built up pressure, it is forcing out CO2 and that stream alone probably prevented any Oxygen or contamination dangers, just seal it back up RDWAHAHB

I think a 1" tube will fit snug in the top of a carboy

AB.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Hopefully it will still turn out well. I'll be sure to pick up some 1-inch diameter tubing at the Home Depot when I go to get the paint supplies and rent the carpet steamer!

Back