Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is two days old, and there were already at least two threads with that link...

forgive me if this has been discused or posted before. found this on youtube thought I would share it. what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a dozen threads on this....6 from last week, and another 6 from around the Superbowl, when the story FIRST broke about homebrew served at the white house.

The chef at the White House does the brewing and has stated that he's planning to share the recipe - but only once it's "perfected". Not sure when that'll be, because (like most homebrewers) he's not sticking with one recipe. The initial beer was "White House Honey Ale", but this summer, they brewed up "White House Honey Blonde" and a "White House Honey Porter".....

Jeez, the Obama's really like honey, huh?

It's because they're trying to make use of the beehive that is out in the back yard of the White House.....

When they name it "White House Honey Ale", that's referring to "White House Honey", or honey that was harvested at the White House.....

Not a big fan of honey beers myself, but I do have to admire their dedication to a theme....

Michelle Obama was being interviewed on NPR or PRI this morning about the Whitehouse's victory garden and mentioned that they have bees and that some of the honey is used to make beer in the Whitehouse around super bowl time.

Anyone have the recipe for the Whitehouse homebrew?:)

8 lbs capital hill LME
1 lb secret service crystal
.5 lb wheat the hell are we doing in Iraq
4 oz white house honey
pinch of powdered currency at the end of boil for fining.

1 oz warrior @ 60 minutes
1 oz tomohawk @ 20 minutes
2 oz arab oil @ flame out

The recipe used to call for Liberty, but that seems to be in short supply.

lmao nicely done!

yep, this made news a bit ago i think 2 superbowls ago (or 1?) but it's a honey ale, thats all i could find.

It recently came to my attentiton that Obama charged his chefs with making homebrews. Read about it here.

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/03/obamas-make-history-with-homebrewed.html

I know he has had other beer themed events, such as the Beer Summit. Why the administration has a favorable stance on beer and homebrewing is irrelevant. Maybe they're trying to appear more down to earth. Regardless, the media coverage has produced an image of a president that thinks homebrewing is a good idea and that beer in general is a good thing.

So this made me think, all this positive coverage of beer provides an opportunity for legislation that helps homebrewers brew and distribute their beer. It creates economic production and supports local economies. The presidents positive press coverage provides a precedent and a postive frame.
It can be framed as "the economies in trouble, so why would we want to hinder individuals' ability to produce goods and move the gears of the economy?" Its uses the localized foodies craze, it would seemingly resonate with republican's position for a stronger economy and even the tea party (even though they're crazy) can jump on the liberty bandwagon.

Give me beer or give me death.

Any thoughts? I know there are organizations seeking legislative change. But am wondering if anyone has any insight?

It's nice to see a well publicized positive outlook on homebrewing, but I'd be surprised if it led to any legislation. Remember that the president doesn't make laws, the congress does. Big Beer has a lot of lobbyists in D.C. and the last thing BMC want is more competition.

LOL, take power away from BATFE? Fat chance with those clowns.

Its not about whether someone likes homebrewing, its about control.

For example, while the president is not a fan of guns or gun owners, he has expressed how much he likes the fact that the Secret Service is armed to protect HIS family.

Good for me, not for thee...

ETA: what exactly would you like changed? just curious...I can see relaxing some BATFE laws and fees, but that doesn't really apply to homebrewers...

Sure. Being on the AHA GC I have a bit if insight on the issue. I can sum it up by saying "nice thought, but don't count on it happening any time soon". There is currently no pending or planned legislation to do this that I am aware of. The hurdles it would face are massive. And there are so much more pressing issues for legislators that this isn't on anybody's radar.

BTW, I'm quoted in the blog post you link to!

Pretty sure Romney (if he wins) won't carry on the WH brewing tradition.

Why the administration has a favorable stance on beer and homebrewing is irrelevant. Maybe they're trying to appear more down to earth.

Or maybe he just likes good beer.

Anyway...no, there's not going to be any legislative issues like this on a federal level any time soon. Two states in the Union still aren't allowing their citizens to brew beer legally without a commercial license. And then there's the commercial beer lobbyists to get past. Ain't gonna happen.

Or....it brings to light a growing market for a hobby that can one day be taxed to death...just like everything else. I'm all for keeping government out of our hobby...they already have the ABC industry by the balls.

Not getting too deep into politics here, let me just say that there is at least ONE decision the President has made that I agree with. Better late than never, I guess.

And just to clarify. I wasn't suggesting going through Obama. I'm aware he doesn't create legislation. I was just thinking the recent press provides a good framework to hang the issue from.

and yeah I know the legislative process is bureaucratic nightmare and that lobbyists are certainly out there making sure they have their way. Just curious if any organization out there has, or has thought about, using this recent press coverage as leverage....whether its on the state or national level.

And just to clarify. I wasn't suggesting going through Obama. I'm aware he doesn't create legislation. I was just thinking the recent press provides a good framework to hang the issue from.

and yeah I know the legislative process is bureaucratic nightmare and that lobbyists are certainly out there making sure they have their way. Just curious if any organization out there has, or has thought about, using this recent press coverage as leverage....whether its on the state or national level.

Is 15 months ago really recent, especially in politics?

Hell no. We are trying to get homebrew legislation passed in Alabama and having Obama behind homenrewing it is one sure way of killing the process.

The last thing we need is the current congress making laws about home brewing. These clowns in office today would just screw it up.

It recently came to my attentiton that Obama charged his chefs with making homebrews. Read about it here.

http://obamafoodorama.blogspot.com/2011/03/obamas-make-history-with-homebrewed.html

I know he has had other beer themed events, such as the Beer Summit. Why the administration has a favorable stance on beer and homebrewing is irrelevant. Maybe they're trying to appear more down to earth. Regardless, the media coverage has produced an image of a president that thinks homebrewing is a good idea and that beer in general is a good thing.

So this made me think, all this positive coverage of beer provides an opportunity for legislation that helps homebrewers brew and distribute their beer. It creates economic production and supports local economies. The presidents positive press coverage provides a precedent and a postive frame.
It can be framed as "the economies in trouble, so why would we want to hinder individuals' ability to produce goods and move the gears of the economy?" Its uses the localized foodies craze, it would seemingly resonate with republican's position for a stronger economy and even the tea party (even though they're crazy) can jump on the liberty bandwagon.

Give me beer or give me death.

Any thoughts? I know there are organizations seeking legislative change. But am wondering if anyone has any insight?

You bring up some excellent points BUT it will never happen. At least through the normal legislative process. It might a big issue to some of us but it certainly isn't a big issue to most Americans or even Congress. As Denny pointed out the AHA has no plans to tackle this issue. I can see why since the AHA is part of the Brewers Association which represents commercial breweries. How are they going to explain to their BA members that they support legislation that could financially hurt the BA members?

Any of you smoke cigars?

About 25 years ago, you could buy premium cigars "on the cheap." (at least compared to today.) I lived in Tampa at the time, which at one point was well known for cigars. At that time, there was one guy in Ybor City who rolled his own. Sold them for about a buck per stick. They were doggone good, and I could buy a box to pass out to friends after a rugby game without really thinking about it.

The "cigar boom" hit, and my cigar guy, Raffael, changed his biz. Suddenly his cigars had a band on them, and the name changed to something more "cool." He stopped rolling them in his store and started having them made in a factory in Hondo. His price jumped to $4.25 per stick.

Fast forward 20 years, my life long best friend moved to Florida and wanted to start a business. "Since you love cigars, I'll become a tobacconist." And he did, and I helped him get rolling (pun), and he kicked some butt. But the backlash of the "boom" was a lot of restrictions on the industry, taxes, etc.

Long and short of it is, he is probably going to fold within 2 months. Obviously any business has many complicating factors that lead to success or failure, but my point is, be careful what you hope for. I'm an optimist - an article like the link in this thread makes me happy. But really, in the long run, if craft brewing becomes mainstream we will have to face the bad with the good.

While it would be nice to have the water cooler convo about yeast strains or hops variations every single day, if that were to come about we'd also have to weed through the onslaught of money grubbing know-nothings who would glom on to what is currently a beautiful niche.

I am all for assisting our brothers who languish in states where home brewing is a legal issue. But here in Florida, I'm happy with what I have - a few friends who truly love brewing and have to do a bit of work to seek out the best case scenario for the recipes they favor. A new local brewery every year or so to keep things interesting. And not a lot of teet-sucking leeches sullying up one of my last bastions of inner peace.

I'll step down now. Somebody hand me a beer.

The most important issue that has been overlooked in this discussion is that IF the Whitehouse staff is on the clock while brewing then they are in fact violating current statutes since it is illegal to pay anyone to brew your beer.
Also, I wonder if they are exceeding the 250 gallons per household limit on the amount brewed??

The most important issue that has been overlooked in this discussion is that IF the Whitehouse staff is on the clock while brewing then they are in fact violating current statutes since it is illegal to pay anyone to brew your beer.
Also, I wonder if they are exceeding the 250 gallons per household limit on the amount brewed??

Exactly!! It shows that really no one pays attention, from a legal standpoint, to homebrewing laws.
IMO the way to change homebrewing laws is to cautiously push the limits. If you wait for legislation it will never happen. Most of our laws/legislation are reactionary meaning they are made to address a current problem/issue. It seems like lately most homebrewing laws have become more permissive rather than strict, with the notable exception of Alabama. What would happen if homebrewers from around the country started serving their beers at beer festivals as a start?

If Obama is a fan, then it would cause me pause and make me want to quit.........think I'll forget I read this thread.

Schmutzie said:
Exactly what is wrong with this country today...

Exactly. Nobody hate. Unless you are hating the majority. And make sure to be pc about it as well. Unless it is against the majority.

Hate is fine - I don't care who hates who. But to question what you enjoy doing because someone you don't like enjoys it too is f'ing stupid!

"I like X, but if Wolfhound180 likes X, then I must hate X!"

PC/majority has nothing to do with it (and neither does politics)... have a brain of your own.

Schmutzie said:
Hate is fine - I don't care who hates who. But to question what you enjoy doing because someone you don't like enjoys it too is f'ing stupid!

"I like X, but if Wolfhound180 likes X, then I must hate X!"

PC/majority has nothing to do with it (and neither does politics)... have a brain of your own.

Haha good one. I do and that's why I always vote against big government. But that's beside the point.

I agree with you that if I enjoy something, I'm not changing it because some ******* that I loath enjoys it as well. It is what it is.

But having an opinion is not what is wrong with this country. Having a choice is a great thing.

Or....it brings to light a growing market for a hobby that can one day be taxed to death...just like everything else. I'm all for keeping government out of our hobby...they already have the ABC industry by the balls.

+1,000,000 This is the ONLY outcome that could ever come out of the POTUS furthering the hobby. I'd rather it get no mention at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back