Anyone Use a Wine Cooler as a Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a pretty solid deal on a 25 bottle wine cooler. I have seen this discussed by several people but am curious if anyone actually uses one as a kegerator.

The model is the exact one that Denny uses when doing this conversion but I haven't seen him doing any posting in the past 5 months.

Any input? Can these guys get cold enough? Thanks for any help... :ban:

nealf,

Did you wind up snagging the Danby? I picked up the same model a couple months ago (incredibly good craigslist deal I couldn't pass up from a family that got it as a gift but didn't have room for it) and I'm waiting for my keg system to show up next week.

I ran a temperature test today by moving the Danby's temperature probe away from the back wall (so it never tells the unit it's cold enough to turn off the compressor), and running my Johnson probe through the drain. I set my Johnson to 38F and it had no problem getting down there, though it would only keep temp for about 10 minutes and then cycle on for about 15. I'm waiting to see what it's like with a couple kegs in there. (I also have a computer fan wired through the drain, so it was helping to move the cool air from the back and bottom.)

I'm also contemplating drilling into the bottom edge of the door and filling the space between the glass with some spray insulation depending on how hard it will have to work to keep the temp. I started a thread asking if anyone's tried it before, but as it was my first post, it's still waiting for mod approval. :)

Latest posts

Back