Anyone doing a Cheese RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etk29321

Reaction score
My wife decided to try her hand at making cheese. We've never made cheese before, so she got a kit and started reading over the directions and was concerned about how she was supposed to keep the milk at the correct temperatures throughout the process. I thought that the problem seemed quite similar to that of maintaining mash temperatures, so I wondered if my RIMS systems might be the solution. Using some older pots (5gal and 10 gal from my old brew rig), I was able to cobble together a RIMS controlled double-boiler setup as seen below (technically I guess this setup is a sous vide).

We made the kit last night and as far as I can tell, it worked like a champ. Held temps right where we wanted them for the gouda. Out of this I have two questions...

1) Is anyone doing anything similar? A quick search here didn't turn up much.

2) I still used infusions of 175F water to raise the temps per the instructions, but I was wondering if there was anything special about the 175F water or if infusions of non-boiling water is just a convenient way for most folks to raise the temperature quickly and accurately? I assume boiling water is not used so as to not cook the milk protiens and I could just as easily have used the RIMS module to heat the milk for the next step?

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

I just rewired my RIMs controller with a connectorized temperature sensor, so I can plug it into a small 300W element and submersible pump in a plastic tub for a water bath/sous-vide, mostly for cheesemaking (aiming at holding cheddars at ~40C for 90 minutes). Basically it'll be like the standard "build-your own sous-vide" designs.

I guess I could plumb the tub for the 1500W RIMS tube if I need more power.

Back