Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewiz

Reaction score
I am getting ready to step up to AG and want something new to read. I have both of the "JOY" books but want something more in depth for AG. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks on the quick response, I have that on saved in my Favorites and printed most of it. Good reading, can't wait to do my firtst batch....

How to Brew is good, but for an in depth, nuts and bolts book about brewing all-grain (especially decotion mash) is Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer. it's a good book, a must for the library IMHO.

DeRoux's Broux said:
How to Brew is good, but for an in depth, nuts and bolts book about brewing all-grain (especially decotion mash) is Greg Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer. it's a good book, a must for the library IMHO.

The best two books ive come across is "designing great beers" and the "brewmasters bible", both give an in depth look at brewing the classic styles. "designing great beers" would be my first buy though

I agree with the above books and would like to add 1 more. "Brew Ware" is a great book on helping you set up for AG. Show how to do everything from building your own immersion chiller to growing and drying your own hops!

great pictures and discriptions for building your own cheap brewery!

HTH

John

usmcruz said:
The best two books ive come across is "designing great beers" and the "brewmasters bible", both give an in depth look at brewing the classic styles. "designing great beers" would be my first buy though

yep, those are good books for style guides and recipe formulation, but for the technical info on how to brew all grain beer, i recomend a book that talks about the nuts and bolts of brewing, not what makes an IPA or a porter.

i didn't care for the brewmaster's bible. Designing Great Beers is much better in my personal opinion. really, the Classic Beer series books are much better than the Brewmaster's Bible. they go into more depth about the history of the style, recipes, etc. :cool:

usmcruz said:

I have the "Bible" as well. Its a great read. Really informative, and has lots of recipes. Highly recommended.

DeRoux's Broux said:
yep, those are good books for style guides and recipe formulation, but for the technical info on how to brew all grain beer, i recomend a book that talks about the nuts and bolts of brewing, not what makes an IPA or a porter.

i didn't care for the brewmaster's bible. Designing Great Beers is much better in my personal opinion. really, the Classic Beer series books are much better than the Brewmaster's Bible. they go into more depth about the history of the style, recipes, etc. :cool:

Come to think about it, designing great beers would be good for an advanced brewer who is comfortable with the almost scientific approach. Looking at it now, and remembering what i was like back in the days, it would of looked like spanish to me.

Back