You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you get mad at the trees in your back yard for dropping leaves. not because you'll have to rake them, but because you don't want those little bastards falling in your wort.

You need to find yourself an old window screen to cover your boiling wort! ;) Works great!

when you get mad at the trees in your back yard for dropping leaves. not because you'll have to rake them, but because you don't want those little bastards falling in your wort.

I use a homemade hop spider. I can throw the lid right on top of it and it allows all the steam to get out and it keeps my pot covered.

In a craft brew shop with my son , "I would like to buy you a beer Dad" "that's an excellent idea Son, but not that one, the labels don't come off easy". The store owner was interested in the order of purchasing criteria.

When your mom randomly stumbles into the lhbs knowing her son is a home brewer strikes up a conversation with the owner . By the end of the conversation she says. I have to tell my son about this place. After a few more words with the owner he knows exactly who I am and my brewing buddy. And says oh. Ron and Kendall ? They are in here all the time. Probably some of my most regular customers. :) gave me a good smile.

when you go ahead & buy twist-offs because they come in some nice, sturdy 12 pack boxes or cases for your beers to store in. Then you start to notice those boxes Midwest ships your grains & other stuff in are smaller than a case box, but hold 25-26 bottles. you then start using that label paper to print your own brewery logo to put on them.:rockin:

when you go ahead & buy twist-offs because they come in some nice, sturdy 12 pack boxes or cases for your beers to store in. Then you start to notice those boxes Midwest ships your grains & other stuff in are smaller than a case box, but hold 25-26 bottles. you then start using that label paper to print your own brewery logo to put on them.:rockin:

I do that with Linies! Buy for the box:D

pb

Me too! I also found cases of their summer shandy stuffed with 6-pack carriers one summer. Still using that one. Gonna call U-Haul to see if they have the size boxes like the one DME box Midwest shipped my stuff in recently. Not quite as tall as the others & should save even more space with shorter stacks.:mug:

You know you have the home brew bug when you hold your piss in the morning until AFTER you check your fermentor

Just be careful letting the kids get too close to the root beer, that stuff can be volatile while it's carbonating…

Thanks for the reminder. All the bottles are are in a massive cooler. Gonna crack open one tonight and check carb. Today is day 2. It usually takes 3-4 days for mine to carb up then they all go into the fridge.

While wrapping furniture for storage you realize you don't have a dowel for the plastic wrap, so you grab the closest thing to you that will work... an empty delabeled beer bottle!

1411397069454.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. All the bottles are are in a massive cooler. Gonna crack open one tonight and check carb. Today is day 2. It usually takes 3-4 days for mine to carb up then they all go into the fridge.

A local home brewshop owner in my area has some pretty gruesome pics as to what can happen… he was just moving a case of bottles 6 feet. He nearly lost his eye…

Ooooo wheeee!!!!

Fully carved in 2 days. A bunch of caps bulging out. Felt like I was on the bomb squad when I got home.

Now let's pray all those yeasties go to sleep in the cold fridge before they blow the lids.

It's rootbeer. 3# brown sugar & 2# honey.

Throw in the extract and champagne yeast and bottle. You are supposed to check carb at day one and we forgot. I checked at day 2 and they were bulging. I haven't opened the fridge yet today. I hope it's not covered inside.

When you get a junk email from Macy's with the subject "Today Only: 40-50% off great styles! 12-2pm EST" and your initial reaction is "IPA, Hefe, RIS, Marzen, Pilsner, ESB..."

When you add "How easy do the labels come off" as a criteria when buying beer.

When your entire weekend schedule can get ****ed up based on when your yeast is delivered.

When someone asks you to do something and your first consideration is "How would that influence my brewing schedule?"

When your bedroom smells like cascade because it's the only room in your house that keeps a consistent fermentation temp"

If you've ever told a police officer "I'm sorry officer, but that's hops" during a traffic stop.

You are buying a new house, and most excited about the new brew space and that the previous owners left a deep freeze. :D

I am in the same boat. We have our house for sale and each new home we have looked at I have been considering where I would claim as my brew space.

...when you're getting new running shoes and pick out the electrolyte tablets that are grapefruit & orange flavored, thinking they should make your recovery water "nice and hoppy."

When the subject of moving into your in laws house comes up because your mother in law can't take care of that big old house any more , and SWMBO sweetens the pot by saying "well, what if you build a two story brew shed behind the house, so it has your brew area, and a loft for when she gets on our nerves?"
Uh...... where's that number for the moving company?
SOLD!:ban:

When you find yourself asking a receptionist at a hotel if you can bring your own beer to drink, because you have a bigger selection in your room than their bar has.

You become 'aware' after an accident and the only thing that you want to do is brew some beer for summer time events only to find out june and july are already gone and you have been reading and posting to Home Brew Talk while you were unaware of the world around you.

Back