New brewer asks for info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
I am new to the homebrew life. I was wondering from the more experienced people on this site if there any tips or myths you can give me or debunk for mento make my future of beer making as smooth and awesOme as yours has been

Cheers

The airlock is not a hydromter. Bubbles mean nothing. Take a gravity reading with a hydrometer before assuming fermentation is complete!

No you didn't ruin your beer.

RDWHAHB!!!!!!!!!

I'm new as well and getting ready to brew my second batch today. I think it is important to read the sticky's in this forum and also this book http://www.howtobrew.com before buying a kit.

Before I found this forum I was deciding between three different kits online. All were around $150 or so. After reading I decided on spending the extra money and getting equipment that would last me a lifetime instead of "just getting started". I have no regrets. I purchased equipment in 3 parts to make it easier on the wallet.

1. 6.5gl carboy, 30qt stainless steel pot, long stainless spoon, funnel, airlock, hydrometer, starsan sanitizer, 5gl bucket from Home Depot for sanitizing, american ipa kit, extra hops, and an extra packet of dry yeast just in case, also bottled water and ice.

2. (2 weeks later) 5gl carboy, autosiphon, wine thief, carboy brush, raspberry wheat kit, bottled water and ice for cooling wort

3. (1 week later) 5gl corney keg kit

If you want to watch someone brewing for their first time here are some videos we filmed.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-video-218182/

Good luck and most importantly HAVE FUN!!

edit: just read your other posts, at least you have one under your belt :)

It is really hard to ruin your beer.
Patience is your best friend. Rushing makes bad beer.
Instructions that come with kits are often not good/right.
Don't panic and do something stupid. :D

Back