Splitting up a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
I want to make a starter and split it up amongst four differant experimental batches, what would would be the best way of going about this? Should I make the starter and let it sit for a day or two and then split it up between four mason jars or should I make the starter let the yeast fall out wash the yeast and then store it in mason jars?

I would go with the first, except mix very well then pitch into mason jars and then pitch individually into wort

Would I have to make another starter for the jars if they are in the fridge for a bit?

not necessarily. It depends on whether or not you have enough yeast to pitch in each mason jar for the given wort(s). People here are always recommending mrmalty.com's yeast rate calculator, but I've never used it....I just make starters most of the time. That said, when I've run long and the starter has fermented out, I'll stick it in the fridge, and then take it out when I begin my brewday and swirl it whenever I think about it while it warms up....last time I did this my lag time was less than 6 hours with a full starter from the fridge.

Back