Beer Jelly uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it'd be good with some stick butter as a glaze on meat or poultry? I've made apricot & champagne glaze on those small chicken-birds before with long grain & wild rice stuffing. Beer jelly sub should be good.

I also saw that and started to think some DIPA jelly would be good on ribs. the process of making it seems rather simple.

Finally got my latest BYO. Gotta read the article...*OK, they said they had to use "commercial pectin" to get the jelly to set up properly. They said the kind from the store just wouldn't do it...

This is the basic recipe I use:

3 cups beer
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
3 cups sugar
1 3oz package of liquid pectin

I've only tried this with stouts and porters, but I plan to make some with a pre-dry hop IPA this weekend. Great on grilled meats and over cream cheese as a spread. I made some killer venison steaks with a Guinness jelly marinade a few years back... I'll have to try that one again soon.

The article did say something about liquid pectin being better. gotta read more of it a couple times. When I brew the ESB, I might try making some jelly with that...

This is the basic recipe I use:

3 cups beer
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
3 cups sugar
1 3oz package of liquid pectin

I've only tried this with stouts and porters, but I plan to make some with a pre-dry hop IPA this weekend. Great on grilled meats and over cream cheese as a spread. I made some killer venison steaks with a Guinness jelly marinade a few years back... I'll have to try that one again soon.

How much do you reduce that by? On the fly I'd say that pre-reduction you're only about 40% solids there.

It was real easy to make. As far as the commercial pectin goes, the article has you add apple cider to the store bought pectin to help it set.

Their recipe was:
3c beer
3/4c Apple cider
4c sugar
6oz liquid pectin

I found that I had to boil for well over the recommended two minutes to get the jelly to sheet off of the spoon. I didn't keep track of the exact time. I just kept boiling until I thought it was sheeting off of the spoon.

I may have pulled it too soon. It's been 24 hours and my Christmas Ale jelly is still pretty fluid. I'll keep giving it time. I read that some jellies may take up to two weeks to set.

How much do you reduce that by? On the fly I'd say that pre-reduction you're only about 40% solids there.

I believe I used a simple pepper & spice rub with a coating of jelly as a marinade, then brushed more jelly on as a glaze while grilling. The sweetness plays really well with gamey meats.

I've been inspired by this thread to do a pork loin with the IPA jelly this weekend. :mug:

*edit* I just realized you were probably talking about solids to set the jelly. Sorry, I just got home from my company holiday party :drunk: My notes say to just re-boil and add half a pack of pectin and 3Tb acid if it doesn't set. I've never had any problems with a set with this recipe to need more pectin.

*edit twice* I just ran this by my personal guru (my mother) and she says it is all about temp, and the acid from the citrus juice means nothing for the set of jelly. Somewhere around 230* and the recipe should work just fine. She thinks the acid is to make up for the beer's lack of it compared to fruit, to balance the sweet of the sugar. If you do add more pectin to set, add more sugar as per the package. I thought the acid was a catalyst for the pectin, but I'll trust my guru.

Hope this helps ;)

I finally got up the nerve to use my jelly. I braised beef and carrots with it. Came out amazing. Now I may make a jelly with the Irish Red and Pale Ale I have on tap. Guess I'll be building a "pipeline" of jellies, haha.

Back