SCOBY sunk to bottom. Is that normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ntwkdsnr

Reaction score
My first kombucha brew, I bought a SCOBY from Kombucha Kamp.
My glass container is about a gal and a half. I brewed last night and this morning I noticed that the SCOBY was on the bottom.
It it supposed to float at the top like the pics I have seen?
Thank!

It's fine! SCOBYs sometimes sink and then a new one will form on the surface.

ChefRex,
Yes, added the cup of tea that came with the SCOBY.
It's been almost a week and a nice layer is forming on the top. Overall, the tea is very cloudy, I can't even see the original SCOBY in the jar. Will it clear up eventually?

ChefRex,
Yes, added the cup of tea that came with the SCOBY.
It's been almost a week and a nice layer is forming on the top. Overall, the tea is very cloudy, I can't even see the original SCOBY in the jar. Will it clear up eventually?

If you leave it long enough, it will probably clear up. However, you probably want to harvest it before then...

Mine usually get pretty darn clear after a couple days in the bottle and an overnight chilling in the fridge, but it seems to be somewhat dependent on what type of tea used (my oolong batches are super clear, some black tea batches less so) and if any adjuncts/flavorings are added.

Back