Alternative to starter liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a SCOBY on the way to try some kombucha - I'm thinking the insane variety of teas here in China will make for some great stuff - but I don't have any kombucha to use as a starter liquid, and I can't just go and pick up a bottle at the store here. Are there any good alternatives for acidifying the tea here, or am I going to be stuck ordering a bottle of kombucha online?

The point of the starter liquid is to acidify the tea so no bad bacteria get going before fermentation takes hold. It doesn't necessarily need to be kombucha if you have the scoby to introduce the cultures.

Just make sure it's boiled, distilled, or pasteurized so you're not introducing too much acetobacter or other microbes that could throw off the balance of the SCoBY. I see apple cider vinegar sold near me often includes the mother. I have used distilled white vinegar with good results.

Back