Storing yeast starter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly765

Reaction score
I had a brew day disaster:mad: & need to hold off a couple days before using my Wyeast 1084 that i have made a starter for.

Should 1.) I put the flask in the refrigerator? 2.) put flask in my fermentation chamber? (that's where it is now @ 63F) 3.) Leave it out on the counter?

I'll be using it in less than a week. Hopefully 3 days.

Thanks.

Stick it in the fridge. That will put the yeast to sleep while you wait. Plus they will fall to the bottom so you can pour off the liquid on top before you pitch. Just let it come up to room temp before pitching.

Edit: What was your disaster? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us :mug:

On Saturday I pitched a culture that had been sleeping in my fridge for two weeks, and the fermentation was going within an hour. You should be A-OK :)

Stick it in the fridge. That will put the yeast to sleep while you wait. Plus they will fall to the bottom so you can pour off the liquid on top before you pitch. Just let it come up to room temp before pitching.

Edit: What was your disaster? Don't worry, it happens to the best of us :mug:

Well, I was pressed for time, then it started to rain...... next thing i know I'm really pressed for time & trying to cool the wort w/ my immersion chiller. I take the keggle off the flame put it on the ground, go to plug in the pump to puch ice water through the chiller........the GFI blows, i figure the plug got wet. I trace back the extension cord....replace the cord & it still blows!!! i go into to check the pump & notice that the pumps cord is running under the 1000 degree Kettle that I placed on the floor.....melted right through. I need to cool the wort because I had to go get my son........I try about 3 fixes.....(lots of cussing).......then get the bright idea to siphen the wort into a better bottle in an ice bath.........NEVER DO THIS!!!!!......My 6 gal better bottle is now melted into about a 4 gal work of art!!!!!Sorry for the rant.......I have just recovered enough now to be able to talk about it.

Well, I was pressed for time, then it started to rain...... next thing i know I'm really pressed for time & trying to cool the wort w/ my immersion chiller. I take the keggle off the flame put it on the ground, go to plug in the pump to puch ice water through the chiller........the GFI blows, i figure the plug got wet. I trace back the extension cord....replace the cord & it still blows!!! i go into to check the pump & notice that the pumps cord is running under the 1000 degree Kettle that I placed on the floor.....melted right through. I need to cool the wort because I had to go get my son........I try about 3 fixes.....(lots of cussing).......then get the bright idea to siphen the wort into a better bottle in an ice bath.........NEVER DO THIS!!!!!......My 6 gal better bottle is now melted into about a 4 gal work of art!!!!!Sorry for the rant.......I have just recovered enough now to be able to talk about it.

Not to worry. We've all pulled a bonehead move or 2. I once let my homebrew drinking get the better of my homebrew brewing, and left the valve open on my kettle while sparging. I had lost over 1/3 of my runnings before I realized that the kettle was not filling up as quickly as I'd expected.

God love dried malt extract :drunk:

Like winvarin said, we've all done it. I love this hobby but some of the words that have come out of my mouth while brewing...

In 2 out of my last 3 brew sessions I've melted holes in my garden hose. It's now 50% duct tape. In the last session I tripped over said hose and my cup of coffee went flying into the kettle. It's now a coffee-amber ale, but I'm hoping it turns out good.

Here's to things going smoother next time for the both of us :mug:

How long will a starter stay viable in the frig?
I don't like to leave them any longer than a week, if it's been more than 2 weeks, I'd suggests its best to make pitch the yeast into a a new/fresh starter to ensure the cell count and yeast health is as optimal good as you expect.

Back