Vanilla porter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run3minman

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm on my 4th beer and I decided to make a vanilla porter. I don't want to do flavoring so I'm going to go with vanilla beans any suggestions? How man? Where to get them? Or just any helpful hints would help. Thanks in advance

I split and cut in 1/2 1 bean and soaked it in some Captain Morgain's private stock (regular spiced rum, or even vodka would be fine) for 1 week and then added it bean and all to the beer a little under a week before bottling. It ended up being nice and subtle but definitely there. I think I'll use 2 beans the next time I do it adding 1/2 of one to the last 5 minutes of the boil and the other 1.5 the same method as before.

As for where to procure them, my LHBS sells them by the bean.

Search on-line. Not sure where I got mine, got a pound for about $20, from somewhere called Vanilla bean company (that's probably completely wrong name). You get somewhere around 40 to 60 beans in a pound; much cheaper than buying them individually. They are easy to store too.

I did 6 oz of extract into the secondary and it taste like someone superglued a Vanilla Bean to Chuck Norris's foot and he roundhouse kicked you in the tongue! I call it my "Roundhouse Porter" I wanted alot of Vanilla and i got it and I LOVE it.

If you want a great deal on beans check out http://www.beanilla.com/index.php they have a large variety of beans and were pretty quick and cheap when I orgered mine. I recently added a couple ounce of homemade vanilla extract to a coffee stout that gave me just enough aroma and flavor. The extract I usually will make for baking is about 8-10 beans split, scraped and chopped in a pint of vodka for about 6 weeks or so.

Back