How do I run lower volts and amps to my switches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I have an eHERMS system setup with a BCS-460. I'm running two 5500w elements in the system. Currently, I have the elements controlled by a DPDT 30A 240 switch. One pole is manual control of the element and the other pole is "auto" or allows the BCS to control it.

I've used this setup for about 15 brews now with no problems, however I'm about to build a bigger second system. I don't want to send that kind of voltage and amps to my switches. I am even thinking about making a DC system. In either case, I am assuming I will have to add a definite purpose contactor to my circuit and allow that to switch on the high current stuff.

Any suggestions on this or which contactors to use?

Do you currently Use Solid State Relays??

If not you should start there... you need to have an SSR really to handle and switch on your elements when it gets the go signal from your PID. How many amps per element will you be switching?

I'm using 2 40A SSR per element already. However, the power from my switch feeds the SSR.

Contactors are a great idea because you know they are off when they say off.

You can get 120 volt coil contactors for pretty cheap. Then you switch the 120v trigger that closes the contactor, connecting the mains to the SSRs. The SSRs are then switched by the PID.

If you're grounding your brew pot (you should be) with one SSR you can still have 110VAC at the element.

If you're setting the BCS to control the contractor, then it will switch off both hots.

B

Do low voltage switching to the SSR or contactor.

17411d1285885259-bcs-460-wiring-off-auto3.jpg

Covered recently in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bcs-460-wiring-198389/

Back