Wyeast 1028 81% attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I brewed a brown porter on Feb 21 and I sampled the hydrometer tonight and it was not real nice. For starters, the yeast reached 81% attenuation. The other problem I had with this beer is the PH was pretty high during the mash, probably around 5.9 or so. When I tasted the beer I noticed a sour taste. Of course the beer is not even a week old but do you think this beer could be doomed because of the ph and high attenuation?

Starting Gravity: 1.054
Ending Gravity: 1.010

Pale Malt 9.00 lb
Brown Malt 1.00 lb
Crystal 40 1.00 lb
Chocolate 0.62 lb
Flaked Barley 0.50 lb

Glacier 7.40% 1.00 oz 60 min
Glacier 7.40% 0.50 oz 10 min

Wyeast London Ale 1028 , 2L starter

Well the fact that you got conversion would imply the pH wasn't a problem. Most dark beers don't have an issue getting to the needed pH for mashing. It is the very pale beers that are the challenge. 1028 is a pretty good attenuating English strain. What was your mash temp, and is your thermometer calibrated?

GT

I would not worry too much about a bit of sourness, especially if the beer is only a week old. Darker beers have a bit of acidity to them and it takes a bit for those flavors to smooth out. Also drinking a hydro reading which is not carbonated and is around 65 degrees will not taste as good as a good 50 degree ale with just enough carbonation. I've had beers that tasted like ass in the hydro and a month later tasted great.

Back