Purchasing Kegging Accessories today . . . help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Okay, so I already have three corny kegs, a 20 lb CO2 tank, and new o-rings for reconditioning the kegs. Today or tomorrow, I am going to order the remainder of what I need to get my kegging system up and running. Although I would like to convert my garage fridge, SWMBO is standing her ground. Instead, I am going to equip the keg with a cobra tap for use on special occasions, etc.

As far as I can see it, here is what I will need:
1. Dual gauge regulator
2. Gas line
3. Beer line
4. Gas and Beer Keg connects

Does this sound right? Am I forgetting anything? Also, how do I know how long my lines need to be in order to balance the system? Should I just order a bunch of feet of line so that I have some around for changes, balancing, etc.?

I've never been more confused about a homebrewing process than with this kegging thing . . .

One more question- I would like to use the system to do real ales pumped from a homeade beer engine I am working on. Should I buy a cask breather, or will it be possible with the equipment listed above to keep a very light blanket on my real ale without adding additional carbonation?

In terms of buying CO2 regulator, should I be looking for anything in particular. I found this one at BeverageFactory.com. How is the price? If I want to expand to 2 or 3 kegs in the near future, will I be able to do it with this regulator?

thumb_842.jpg

35.95You can use this regulator on any Co2 Tank with a CGA-320 valve. Co2 tanks have a male thread (CGA-320), these regulators have a female thread. Double Gauge Regulators Measure PSI, as well as the Volume of Co2 in the Cylinder. They are good for indicating how much Co2 is left in the cylinder and when you should have it refilled. The screw in the center is used to adjust the output pressure.

This double gauge Co2 regulator has a forged brass body and a single metal gauge. This regulator features a non-adjustable safety blow off at 55-65 PSI, a flow control inlet nipple filter and a permanent Quad-Ring inlet seal on the primary gauge.

# Primary Double Gauge
# Forged Brass Body
# Non-adjustable safety blow off at 55-65 PSI
# 3/8" O.D. Outlet Barb with Shut-Off

Standard Double Gauge Co2 Regulator
$35.95

Is this an accurate statment: If I want to kegged products carbonated at a different level, I will need a primary regulator and a secondary regulator. If I want two kegged products carbonated at the same level, I can use one regulator with a splitter.

:confused:

Any regulator can handle multiple kegs. At the brewfest last weekend, we had a five tap jockeybox running off of one regulator.

Actually, both regulators would be primary regulators, since they both tap the line from the tank, but, yes, you need two regulators to have two pressures.

I'd get a party tap for each of the kegs, they don't cost much and swapping one tap around wastes beer. Moving the CO2 line around isn't a problem, though, since you just give the keg a hit and move on to the next one.

I have a four-way manifold in my kegger, but only one regulator. Each line has a shutoff valve, so I keep the pressure high for the soda water and just use short bursts of CO2 on the other tanks.

For blanketing real ales, adjust the regulator to 1/2 psi.

I have two regulators I want to gang together, but can't get one of the high-pressure pipes out. The connection is so tight that the pipe is twisting! I think someone tried to remove it before, but didn't read the "Left-handed thread" warning. Some day, I'll make it happen, even if I have to cut the pipe and drill it loose.

david_42 said:
I'd get a party tap for each of the kegs, they don't cost much and swapping one tap around wastes beer.

By this, do you mean cobra style picnic taps?

Also, wouldn't it be easier to get splitters for each keg rather than switching between kegs?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Latest posts

Back