Bottle Chunks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeverTime

Reaction score
I just bottled my first beer with coconut, and I couldn't get 100% of the chunks out of the liquid. Is it ok to bottle with a small number of coco-chunks, or will that destroy the beer?

The chunks should settle to the bottom of the beer during conditioning and chilling. Be sure to keep the bottles upright, then when you are serving, just leave the bottom 1/2 inch in the bottle.

Thanks for the comments. I guess I should have been more descriptive, I was worried about it creating off flavors, or affecting the carbonation / conditioning period in a negative way. The first half of the bottles I filled did not have any visible chunks, but the last half all have some floating in the top.

Unless this beer is super delicious, I do not think I will make it again, due to how hard it is deal with these coconut chunks.

Don't let that nuance hold you back! Racking gently or through a sanitized hop bag may have produced less chunky results.

The beer could be awesome. If it is, Home Sweet Homebrew is taking entries for the Malt Madness competition at the end of the month.

Don't let that nuance hold you back! Racking gently or through a sanitized hop bag may have produced less chunky results.

I tried a sanitized coffee filter on the intake, but it just got clogged up. I do not have a hops bag, but if I ever make this again I wil give that a shot.

The beer could be awesome. If it is, Home Sweet Homebrew is taking entries for the Malt Madness competition at the end of the month.

That sounds awesome, but I think this will still be green by then.

Maybe, but the comp itself isn't till mid September. Last submission date is a week or so into the month. This is a good chance for you to get some bjcp feedback. Worth six bucks and two beers in my opinion.

Back