I'm an idiot.....help quick please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
First AG batch and we are at bottling day. Filled one and realized we didn't add priming sugar....kits had it in them. What do I need to get and how much!!?? Please help......

You can use cane sugar. I use about 3.5 oz per 5 gallons. Just boil it and gently stir it into your bottling bucket.

phenry said:
You can use cane sugar. I use about 3.5 oz per 5 gallons. Just boil it and gently stir it into your bottling bucket.

Yes, plain old white table sugar is fine. If you don't have a scale, you can approximate with 2/3 of a cup of white sugar boiled in two cups of water.

Glad you remembered before you got them all bottled!

Corn sugar is better, but in a pinch (like you're in) plain old sugar will work just fine.

If you were really stuck, you could even use honey. Pretty much any sugar, in the proper amount. Just don't use spelnda. :D

Corn sugar is better, but in a pinch (like you're in) plain old sugar will work just fine.

If you were really stuck, you could even use honey. Pretty much any sugar, in the proper amount. Just don't use spelnda. :D

Or lactose. I agree that plain old sugar is probably your best option at this point though. Your not an idiot, honest mistake.

LOL

Brewing with Spelnda. Dite Beer.

LOL

Brewing with Spelnda. Dite Beer.

I can't find the post, but someone did that! They were asking why their beer didn't carb. When asked, they said they used 3/4 cup of splenda because they "didn't want the calories from all that sugar" in their beer.

Not lactose. I don't think yeast consumes lactose. Maybe you meant dextrose, which is corn sugar.

Yeast, at least brewer's yeast, does not consume lactose. I meant it as a joke. the previous poster said "just don't use splenda." which I presumed was sort of a joke. So I added on by saying don't use lactose either. sorry for any confusion

Edit: or yeah, you guys already figured it out. lol

Very common mistake. I know that, on more than one occasion, it was by the grace of God that I ended up having enough sugar or bottle caps or sanitizer or some other dumb thing that I forgot to buy or double check before getting started.

I buy 5lb bags of dextrose (corn sugar) at a time and usually know I'm going to run out because I'm making a batch of apfelwien. Works out pretty well.

Back