bottle a few then keg rest, bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulcoop84

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and home brewing so please forgive if this is a stupid thread. I've searched but can't seem to find a clear answer.

My first brew was an ok first attemt. I've learned a few lessons thanks to this forum.
I kegged it all, but soon realised I couldn't share beer with friends unless they came to my house or I had a blichmann beer gun.

My 2nd ever brew is almost ready.
It's the ritchies summer ale kit.

I am planning on bottling about 5 litres into 500 ml bottles with a syphon. Adding 1/4 tsp of priming sugar that was in the kit to each of them.

I then intend to put the other 18litres into a pressure barrel. With the rest of the priming sugar that was in the kit.

Does this make sense or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

I like to boil some water and dissolve my sugar into it to make a syrup. Put the full recommended amount into your bottling bucket, then siphon your beer into your bottling bucket. Then bottle off of that.
What I do (12 gal batches) is keg 10 gallons and force carb it, then add the correct amount of sugar for the remaining beer and bottle whatever is left.

Keg it all. Bottle from keg.

Or use a growler when visiting friends house.

^^ +1 for long term storage(ish).

For sharing with friends and they are going to be consumed that day I just decrease the pressure and carefully pour into growler or flip top 22ozer. I get growlers from the local *Beer Store* and they fill right from the tap and I've had those last a few days as long as they were not opened.

If you're already kegging I think the idea of just kegging it and using a growler to carry to your friend's house is the best way to go. Calculating the amount of sugar to put into an individual bottle can be tricky. You could bottle and use carbonation tablets in them. I recently tried them and wasn't pleased with the results, though. Just pick up a couple growlers. At least if you give beer to your friend in a growler he (or she) is less likely to stupidly throw away your growler (something they often seem to do to bottles).

Wow. Thanks for quick replies.
You guys don't mess about.
I'm gonna get a growler.
You think a bottling cane would help keep beer in the growler or just strait from tap???

$(KGrHqNHJEYE-k(bjcjtBPzEMDKC)g~~60_1.JPG

Latest posts

Back