3/13/12 mfg Trappist High Gravity starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hogwash

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm planning to brew JZ's Strict Observance Tripel from Brewing Classic Styles. The OG is 1.081 and I got 1 pack of the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast intending to make a starter with step up(s) to get my full army of yeast for fermenting this thing. Problem is, the manufacturing date on the pack is 3/13/12, mrmalty.com tells me it has 15% viability and therefore I need to make like a hundred liter starter. Okay, an exaggeration but a way bigger starter than I want to make. I'm just wondering what others think. I've read some threads about making starters from "old" yeast with success but I'm wondering if they are really growing the appropriate number of cells.

Should I brew a low gravity beer as a "starter" for this? How would this yeast affect a low gravity beer? I'm certainly not against the idea of a patersbier or something of the like but wonder if this yeast will be appropriate for a smaller beer.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Go to yeastcalc.com and it will set you up to step start, I'm mobile and can't run the numbers but you should be able to get what you need in 2-3steps of 2L starters easy

Excellent, looks like I can get there with an initial starter of 2.75L & 1 step up of the same. Thanks for letting me know about that site, I had not seen it before. Bookmarked.

hogwash said:
Excellent, looks like I can get there with an initial starter of 2.75L & 1 step up of the same. Thanks for letting me know about that site, I had not seen it before. Bookmarked.

Glad to help! Happy brewing!!!

I've used yeast older than that (up to a year) and made a couple extra starters along the way. You'll be fine with that yeast based upon the plan you outline. I think only a 50L starter is needed. :)

I have this yeast working a Duppel right now. I was in a similar situation and did a 2-step starter. The stuff had a 2" kausen for a solid week, I'm in week two know and still have a light foam layer....the stuff is awesome. USE A BLOWOFF TUBE :) Don't ask me why I say this.....

Back