Haven't Seen this Before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raouliii

Reaction score
Hi
A little background: This was a 5 gallon partial mash/extract, OG:1.062, amber ale fermented with rinsed american ale II 1272. Expected FG:1.014 per beertoolspro. Fermented at low 60's for 4 days then ramped up slowly to low 70's over 5 days. Cold crashed after a total of 16 days. Fermentation was vigorous with 3 inch krausen which fell very slowly. I considered everything to that point to be expected.

When I began the transfer to corny, I pulled the carboy out of the chamber to a 90deg garage so it immediately began to sweat. Surface of the beer appeared normal with nothing floating but a few groups of tiny bubbles with the normal grunge adhered to the carboy near the beer line. FG:1.011, so a little over attenuated.

Here's where it diverged from my usual experience. As I began siphoning I noticed that a "curtain" of a snotty looking substance began drooping from and following the beer line down the sides of the carboy. Picture below.

7922-7031.jpg

Is this normal or some kind of contamination? Could it have been something excreted from the grunge line because of the temperature swing?

The beer is still carbing/settling. A couple tastes don't indicate a problem other than still being a little yeasty on first draw.

Thanks for any insight.

I havent... whats it smell like?.. if you swoush it around does it fallout to the bottom or just stretch out?..

I had a very similar occurrence on my last California Common; exactly the same thing, I noticed a "snot curtain" that wobbled and slowly made its way down the inside wall of the carboy after I pulled it out of the fridge from cold crashing. I didn't detect any off tastes at bottling, which was just about two weeks ago; haven't yet tried a carbed bottle.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I havent... whats it smell like?.. if you swoush it around does it fallout to the bottom or just stretch out?..
Smelled fine. Just tasted it and it tastes fine. This happened last weekend and I was very careful not to disturb it and increase the likelyhood that it might get siphoned into the keg.

Back