Hop Burst IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
Has nayone out there tried a hop burst IPA. I just made up my first hop burst amber based on Jamil's Evil Twin, and I am in love with the flavor. Has anyone tried to brew up an IPA using only (or mostly) late hop additions, and if so, how much hoppage did you have to use. Please post up a recipe if you got one to get my creative juices flowing

Yes and no. I always add a bittering addition because otherwise I might well just throw dollar bills into my wort. I bitter about 60% and then use the rest of the total bittering in the last 20 minutes. This adds great bitter and also maintains phenomenal aroma and flavor of hops. But in beer, we aren't making hop tea. We are making barley tea that is balanced out with the hops. So make sure that you aren't just making an unbalanced IPA that is all bitter or all aroma.

Put on tap last week, just pulled my first pints last night. It's excellent and heading to the database.

OG 1.064
FG 1.015
IBU 68

8# 2-row
1.5# Vienna
0.5# Crystal 40L
2.75# Light DME

0.6 oz magnum 14%
1.5 oz columbus 14.2%
1.5 oz simcoe 11.9%
1.5 oz amarillo 8.6%

Nottingham

Mashed at 154F.

0.6 oz magnum (60)
0.5 oz columbus (25)
0.5 oz simcoe (20)
0.5 oz amarillo (15)
0.5 oz columbus (10)
0.5 oz simcoe (5)
0.5 oz amarillo (0)

dry hop with 0.5 oz each of columbus, simcoe, amarillo

Just thought of this, but how about combining first wort hopping with hop bursting to get a nice smooth bitterness without using an ass ton of hops, yet retaining an emphasis on strong hop flavor. Any experience/thoughts?

Back