Hello from Virginia Beach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleWi

Reaction score
Hello, I've been lurking here for a little while, looks like a great board, so I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been brewing for 8 years and just recently jumped to all-grain. Extract brewing became too easy, I was missing the self-torture/anxiety aspects of the hobby. My first batch, a California Common, turned out pretty good, and I just dumped a Magic Hat #9 clone into the fermenter. Wish me luck and see you around.

Hello and welcome! I'm drinking commercial #9 right now. I like this beer the more I drink it. Would love to have the recipe...

RichBrewer said:
Welcome to HBT! :mug:
How is your all grain brewing going so far?

Thanks, Rich. So far all-grain is going disturbingly easy. I'm using a chest cooler with a copper manifold as my mash/lauter tun and another cooler with a spigot as my HLT. I thought the first batch was probably a fluke, I hit mash temps, pH, etc. dead on with my first try. But the second batch went just as smoothly, so either this all-grain thing isn't as hard as I thought it would be, or I'm overlooking something simple but big and screwing up royally. The first batch was a modification of an extract recipe I'd brewed a few times and came out more bitter than expected, but I had to substitute the hop variety used, so it's either the hops or I oversparged. I kept a closer eye on the wort gravity when sparging second time around, so we'll see. Otherwise, the extra time and effort spent makes for a more rewarding brewday, and man, does the mash smell great!

dpt, I'd be happy to share the recipe, but brew at your own risk, this is my first time brewing it and may need tweaking. Being new to the forum, I don't want to breach etiquette. Is it okay to post it here, or in the recipe database (or is that just for proven recipes)?

Dale

DaleWi, maybe you could just PM the recipe to me and I will treat it as brew at your own risk. I probably won't get to it for some time since I have quite a few batches on deck. Maybe by that time you'll know how it turned out, but at any rate I'd like to see it, I'm curious how the apricot will get worked in. You're probably right though about posting when you're not sure how it comes out yet. Thanks!

Back