Anyone have experience doing Doppelbocks with Cal. Common yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortexBomb

Reaction score
Topic is pretty much contained in the header. I live in an apartment, using ye olde plastic tub with ice-filled 2 litre bottles I can get my fermentation temperatures down into the high 50s this time of year, and I have access to a basement for lagering, but not at really icy cold temps.

I'm not comfortable having to baby something enough to get it cold enough for traditional lager yeast, but California Common seems like a decent alternative, so I have one on the immediate docket. After that though, I like the idea of re-using the yeast cake and pitching a Doppelbock onto it. I know that screwing around with styles and options is the heart of homebrewing, but has anyone else here tried this before, and if so, how did it turn out? Any considerations of how I should shift a recipe based on the California Common yeast?

Back