CA, KY Common Beer Techniques and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
I have been reading up on the American Beer styles of which two are California Common and Kentucky Common. They are both characterized by using lager yeasts not lagering, but being drunk fresh. I was already familiar with the Kentucky Dark Cream Ale, which the Kentucky Common was sort of a predecessor. Does anyone know are the common lagers that bad? If I wanted to try to make a common beer, which lager yeast would be best. I like the dark cream ale style especially chilled after a day or two and drunk fresh, would a lager yeast work here also?

I can't speak to the KY common but have brewed the CA common a few times. It is usually a simple pale ale grist with 8-10# of 2-row and a pound of crystal 60. The showcase is the Northern Brewer hops at 2-3oz.

I would be interested in brewing a KY common.

When I did my KY common I used American lager WLP840 and used it as a steam beer (lager yeast at ale temps) and it was amazingly good.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I used wlp810 San Francisco lager yeast in my batches.

Back