fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodneypierce

Reaction score
OK guys, I have a few beers under my belt here, but have never fermented one at so low of a temp. 2 weeks ago I made a Continental Dark Beer. Pitched my yeast, and had fermentation within the first 15 hours. I started it off at 65*, then lowered the temp to 55* once fermentation had kicked off. it fermented very well for about 4 days, then started to slow down. It has been out in the garage at a constant 55* (heated garage) and has not had a single bubble for nearly a week. Today, I moved it into the basement where it is roughly 64-65 degrees, and it has started bubbling again. Does this mean the fermentation has started up again, or do you think its just bubbling due to the change in temps. I did not check final gravity yet because I had planned on it setting for atleast another week before i bottle.

it could be both but my bet is on restarted fermentation. the yeast probably either shut down or went into slow mo when you dropped the temp. they may of woken up again with the increase in heat.

thanks Tipsy. I will just monitor it over the next few days and see what we get. I planned to bottle it next weekend, but might wait until the following. That would make it 4 weeks in the primary. Testing my patience will tell me when I bottle :)

Back