Big Papa's PomCran Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazygee69

Reaction score
:drunk::drunk:5 gallons 100% pure apple juice( I used Lucky Leaf brand)
5 cans pomagranite/cranberry concentrate 100% pure(I used Old Orchard)
1 packet Red Star pasteur champagne yeast

Thaw the concentrate to room temperature and set aside. Add to 5 gal. of juice in primary. Pitch yeast. Leave in primary for 4-6 weeks. Bottle and enjoy. I have set two wine bottles aside for storage for a while. I will update in a few months. Also I did not check gravity or abv but a couple from beer bottles will sneak up on you.

I have tried a few times to integrate cranberry in the apfelwein primary at concentrations from 5-33%. So far none have been good. Maybe the concentrate in primary (or even secondary) is the ticket. I'll put this on my list of things to try.

I have tried a few times to integrate cranberry in the apfelwein primary at concentrations from 5-33%. So far none have been good. Maybe the concentrate in primary (or even secondary) is the ticket. I'll put this on my list of things to try.

When you say not good what do you mean?

I have several orchards in my area. One had fresh pressed 80/20% apple/cranberry juice. i have 5 Gallons of that in a primary now bubbling away.

Iwas thinking of trying one similiar to this but using the apple raspberry concentrate. Let mw know how it comes out. Keep us poste

This one seems to have gotten really good with some age. It was always a quick drunk, but now it is a quick drunk with some decent flavor.

I couldn't find pommegranite/cranberry but I did find a pom/blueberry concentrate. It sounded good so I decided to give it a try. The mixture tasted good and then I tossed the yeast. OG was 1.058. When can I expet fermentation to start and how vigorous will it be? This is my first cider, I usually make ale.

Don't expect the same kind of crazy fermentation that an ale will produce. You should just see a thin layer of krausen. My batch was somewhat similar (see my Pomeblue Apfelwein recipe) and was bubbling away the next day.

That was exactly it. Its started bubbling away within 36 hours. Now its going nuts. The color has turned from the dark purple to almost a maroon color. Still smells good. :) How long does the fermentation go on these ciders? and what should I expect my FG to be close to? thanks :)

Oh, and when I go to bottling, will this carbonate or will I need to add some priming sugars?

TxT

Back