BJCP Guidelines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iniquity

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

My buddy and I are about to enter our first homebrew contest and I've been wondering about something. Does it matter what region the ingredients are from as long as everything else meets the guidelines? So for instance if I am brewing and APA would it matter if I tossed some munich in there?

Thanks!

Judges in competition do not have access to your receipe sheet during the judging of the competition. The only information they have about your beer is the style that it is entered in and a copy of the BJCP guidelines for that style. They will get information regarding "speciality" ingredients if it is in a category where that is indicated, ie 16E, 23, etc. What matters most from a competition perspective is how the beer tastes, not what is in it. If it tastes like an APA, enter it as an APA irrespective of whether you used Munich, or even if you used non-american hops.

Latest posts

Back