Should I be worried-warm yeast packet in mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
When I got my two packs of Safale US-05 today will all my grains it felt pretty warm to the touch. Should I be worried about this? I am not sure if it is a big deal for dry yeast?

Shouldn't be a problem. I usually rehydrate the yeast and after 1/2 hour you should see plenty of activity, if not then don't use. Also the inside should be nice and dry and the yeast not clumped together.

It's probably fine, but if you want to check, put just a tiny pinch in some warm water (temp depends on yeast instructions) and see if they activate. You'll know when they activate.

I've ordered liquid yeast (White Labs) from Georgia, shipped on an ice pack to Michigan, and by the time I received the vials they were air temp (mid 70s at the time). I was afraid they were killed off... Popped them in the fridge, and used one of them a week later (Cali Ale yeast), fired up nicely in the starter, made a great amber.

If liquid yeast can take some warmth, I'm sure dry yeast won't have any problems. :)

I've ordered liquid yeast (White Labs) from Georgia, shipped on an ice pack to Michigan, and by the time I received the vials they were air temp (mid 70s at the time). I was afraid they were killed off... Popped them in the fridge, and used one of them a week later (Cali Ale yeast), fired up nicely in the starter, made a great amber.

If liquid yeast can take some warmth, I'm sure dry yeast won't have any problems. :)

OK, let me be the Grouch-o. I had a kit mailed from BMW with liquid yeast without the ice pack and it turned warm on transit (it was cool-ish the day I bought) and showed up warm- like in the upper 80's or more. It was sitting in front of my door in the sun in the box when I got home. I think I better put a sign saying for Fedex to put inside the mud-room next time.

Anyhoo, made my starter the old fashioned way. Sanitized everything well. Poopoopeedoop! and zero viability. Waited for it for several days. Refrac confirms zero fermentation.

It didn't even spoil too bad in the vessel all that time. It didn't smell super fresh, but it wasn't contaminated that bad for it being like 10 days at room temp.

BMW was helpful and replaced.:mug:

Back