first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleScrapper

Reaction score
i went shopping today and i picked up a bunch of grains to make a stout. i think i got way too many roasted grains, i didnt know what i was doing...
here's what i got:

roasted barley - 350g
chocolate malt - 250g
black patent malt - 125g
crystal dark(120) - 125g
carafoam malt - 125g
domestic 2-row - 3 kg
DME amber - 2 kg

will this even work? is there enough fermentables to get 5%alc/vol?
i can maybe use less water? im just not sure how to calculate..
the guy at the beer store told me that roasted and chocolate malts have absolutely no fermentable sugars in it, is this true?
i know im asking a lot, and im trying to 'run before i walk'.. thanks for reading

This is exactly why I went from extract straight to all grain. I was gonna do partial mash but as I looked through recipes and started doing all the calculations with the DME to grain and LME to DME and I realized it was gonna be a pain and way more complicated than I wanted. If you go all grain you can pretty much look at a recipe and just go buy the stuff and brew it up.

I'm not at the level of making my own recipes yet so I realize I haven't answered your question but thought I'd throw my looney and tooney in.

Cheers.

This is exactly why I went from extract straight to all grain. I was gonna do partial mash but as I looked through recipes and started doing all the calculations with the DME to grain and LME to DME and I realized it was gonna be a pain and way more complicated than I wanted. If you go all grain you can pretty much look at a recipe and just go buy the stuff and brew it up.

I'm not at the level of making my own recipes yet so I realize I haven't answered your question but thought I'd throw my looney and tooney in.

Cheers.

i live in winnipeg, so there is going to be lots of snow here very soon. otherwise i would go down to canadian tire and pick myself up one of those 6 gallon propane turkey fryers. perfect for mashing and boiling except they're not the best for indoors..
thanks for the advice and the bump Teaman

I get an OG of about 1.081 for a 5 gallon batch when I plug all that stuff in, assuming a mash efficiency of 70%.

Roasted barley and chocolate malt have no enzymes of their own, so you need to mash them with malts that have extra enzymes (like 2 row) in order to get any sugar out of them.

converting recipes had me a little nervous when I first made the switch to partial mashes, but I've found it's very easy (and fun!) to do in software like beersmith. I basically just replace some of the base malt with extra light DME until I get to a mash size I can handle.

Latest posts

Back