Simple Caramel Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VachonBrewCo

Reaction score
This was my first caramel cider. Which is why the batch size is so small. It's a simple recipe to scale up.

.25 lb Dark Crystal
2.0 oz Special B
1 gal of Orchard fresh pasteurized cider
1 Whirlfloc tablet @15

Ok, so I mashed the cider at 154F for 45 minutes. With this small amount of grain, efficiency is pretty high. After collecting into the BK I added 6 quarts of water (to prevent loss in boil.) I also added about a 1 lb of sugar at 45 mins. I would recommend adding 1.5 lb at boil, my gravity was a bit too low, so I boiled a quart of water with the .5 lb sugar. I went with Munton's brewing yeast for two reasons: I already had an open pack in the fridge, and I didn't want something like a EC 1118 that would dry it out. As much as I like dry wines and ciders, dry caramel sounds funky. Pitch the yeast at 72F-75F. I personally like to aerate before pitching. It's an incredibly simple cheap recipe, next to impossible to mess up. It has a strong caramel nose to it, but the cider taste still comes out strong. Hope you guys enjoy! :mug:

Back