Newbie kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbear219

Reaction score
I got my kegs in from keg connection on Friday. I had an IPA and a hefe that had been in primary for a month and was patiently waiting for the kegs to arrive. They came pressurized and looked nice and clean inside. I ran hot soapy water and then starsan through using a picnic tap, then racked in my beer.

I have since read that a lot of people completely break down and soak the poppets, etc, before using a keg for the first time so now I am a little paranoid that I did not take the correct steps. Was washing/sanitizing the keg enough or is there a good chance I could get burned by not fully breaking it down? At the time I figured the steps I took would at the least clean and sanitize all the parts that would come in contact with my beer.

At the moment i have them pressurized at 30psi at room temp. my keezer will be done in a couple days and at that point I plan on chilling and dropping to 10-12 psi.

I'm sure everything will probably be fine (RDWHAHB) but I've got that voice in the back of my head :cross:

It'll more than likely be fine. The Star-San should have taken care of the keg and the Out dip tube, and if you didn't notice a pungent aroma when you were washing the keg out, the o-rings probably aren't going to add any off flavors.

But, fwiw and for the future, disassembling and sanitizing the keg and all the constituent parts and replacing all the o-rings is always a good idea, just so you can indeed RDWHAHB...

Cheers!

Back