Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got mine in a secondary to age a bit. In about a week, I'll add my slurry mix of cocoa powder, toasted oak chips, 1/2 a vanilla bean and about 6 oz of Jameson.

I don't mind being a guinnea pig for this, but the latest recipes are for all grain. Does anyone have an extract + specialty grains recipe suggestion?

For the recipe above, just replace the 2-row with the appropriate amount of extract. I don't have BeerSmith with me at the moment, but probably around 5 or 6 lbs. of LME would do it. The remaining grains can be steeped.

My next scheduled brew day is next Friday, 01/22 (if I can wait that long, if not it will be this Saturday) so I've got a little time to narrow down the recipe. I've got to finish my kegerator sometime this weekend as well. Here is my current recipe:

7 lbs. dark malt extract (liquid)
10 oz. Roast unmalted barley
1/4 lb. Black Patent malt
1/4 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. flaked barley
1/2 lb. domestic two-row malt
1/2 lb. medium crystal malt

1 oz. Target or Northdown hops (bittering)
1 oz. Northern Brewer hops (flavoring)
1/2 oz. Willamettes hops (finishing)

Wyeast #1084 – Irish Ale Yeast

Primary: as is (at least 1 week)

Secondary: Add-
½ oz. Vanilla extract
½ lb lactate
4 oz. Dry Cocoa powder
Wait at least 2 weeks

Move to keg: Add 8 oz. Jameson Whiskey

Wait 1 week

Force carbonate for 2 weeks using set and forget method.

Taste (not for the first time) and probably wait another two weeks. Repeat.

Heres my go at it. Just ordered from Rebel Brewer.

Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
2.1 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)

Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops
0 min 1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
0 min 4.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 0.0 min)

Secondary after 7ish days then add to secondary:

1/2 cup whiskey
4 oz bakers chocolate
.5 oz vanilla extract

Secondary for at least two weeks. Keg and force carb and let sit for four weeks before sampling.

I would be careful about using 5 oz of vanilla extract. Most receipes call for between 1/2 and 1 oz. I thought two beans was to much in a porter I made, which make me think 5 oz would be way overpowering.
Heres my go at it. Just ordered from Rebel Brewer.

Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
2.1 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)

Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops
0 min 1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar
0 min 4.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 0.0 min)

Secondary after 7ish days then add to secondary:

1/2 cup whiskey
4 oz bakers chocolate
.5 oz vanilla extract

Secondary for at least two weeks. Keg and force carb and let sit for four weeks before sampling.

I would be careful about using 5 oz of vanilla extract. Most receipes call for between 1/2 and 1 oz. I thought two beans was to much in a porter I made, which make me think 5 oz would be way overpowering.

It actually does say .5 oz. 5 ounces would be friggin ricockulous

Just came across this thread and I'm really interested. I may have to try it out myself.

chemnitz, I really like your recipe; looks like something I would do. I may have to try that one, but maybe make the roasted barley 0.25lb and chocolate malt 0.75 because too much roasted barley may add a coffee flavor which could clash with the desired Car Bomb flavors. Just kegged an Oatmeal Coffee Stout that uses 1lb of roasted barley for the coffee flavor instead of actual coffee (roughly 7.25% of the grist.) Someone who didn't know there wasn't real coffee added likely couldn't tell the difference. You're looking at closer to 8% of the grist. Just my $0.02

Aw, the text on my phone didn't show the period. That makes way more sense.
It actually does say .5 oz. 5 ounces would be friggin ricockulous

Just came across this thread and I'm really interested. I may have to try it out myself.

chemnitz, I really like your recipe; looks like something I would do. I may have to try that one, but maybe make the roasted barley 0.25lb and chocolate malt 0.75 because too much roasted barley may add a coffee flavor which could clash with the desired Car Bomb flavors. Just kegged an Oatmeal Coffee Stout that uses 1lb of roasted barley for the coffee flavor instead of actual coffee (roughly 7.25% of the grist.) Someone who didn't know there wasn't real coffee added likely couldn't tell the difference. You're looking at closer to 8% of the grist. Just my $0.02

Yep. I panicked a little bit when you said that.

My recipe is loosely based on BM's Guiness clone with the chocolate, lactose, and vanilla proportions from other recipies in the database. Its going to be my 5th AG and the first one Ive used Beersmith to get my style in line without relying on someone else.

I did an experiment today to determine how much whiskey to use. I added whiskey to a Left Hand Milk Stout and tasted it at different intervals. I think that the sweet spot was 15 mL whiskey for 12 oz. of beer. This gave a subtle whiskey flavor, which seemed right to me. If you really like whiskey, 20 mL produces a more dominant flavor. So, I've decided to add 1.5 cups of whiskey to 2.5 gallons of beer. That should have the effect that I'd like.

I've been doing some research tonight, dropped a couple bombs and ruined a couple glasses of beer...

I am right on with you at 17ml of Jameson... Now I'm using a sweet stout to experiment with, so take that into account, but I have added 3 heaping teaspoons (table variety, not measured) of lactose and it's got the sweetness, maybe a tad too much, but it's not giving it the "milk" or cream aspect..

My latest try was 15ml Jameson, 3 heaping tsp lactose, 1/4 tsp (measured) cocoa powder and 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) mexican vanilla extract.

What I got was drinkable, but sweet, and not on the mark.. Just not picking up the cream flavor. I'm sure it would help if I had a bit more authentic stout to start with, and maybe that's where creaminess needs to come from..

Anyhow.. All in the name of science.. I'll be "experimenting" for a few hours.. :mug:

On edit:

Also, my method was to take all the above ingredients, except the whiskey, and put them in a small amount of water and microwave it for 30-45 sec to get it all disolved, the add the Jameson, then add to my beer..

I'll know about mine in a week or so. Right now, it's sitting in the secondary with the cocoa, vanilla bean, and Jameson mixture, (oh and a slight amount of oak chips hopefully to enhance the Jameson flavor).

I just brewed up my base stout on Saturday. Here's the recipe:

6.6 lbs light LME
1 lb roasted barley (steeped 1/2 lb for 30 min @ 150, steeped 1/2 lb at 150 for 20 min)
1 lb Chocolate malt (steeped 1/2 lb for 30 min @ 150, steeped 1/2 lb at 150 for 20 min)
2 cups rolled oats (steeped @ 150 for 30 min with malts)
~1 oz Fuggles pellets @ 60 min
~0.5 oz Fuggles pellets @ 15 min
~0.5 oz Fuggles pellets @ 5 min
Irish moss and bentonite @ 15 min
Cool to 90, added 3 gallon boil mixture to 2 gallons cold water in 6.5 gallon carboy, pitched Nottingham.
O.G. ~1.050.

Tasted pretty good going in, I'm looking forward to tasting this one when it's done. I'll probably leave it in primary for a month, then go to secondary and start monkeying around with getting a good flavor. Incidentally, the reason for 2 different steeping times was that SWMBO realized partway through that we weren't going to get the color we needed, so I had to run back to the LHBS and get more steeping grains. Hooray shenanigans! It still turned out pretty tasty, though, so I'm not worried. I watch this thread with bated breath...

I brewed my base yesterday, it's not extract, but it's as follows;

6.5#'s Maris Otter
2#'s Chocolate Malt
1#'s Flaked Oats
8oz's Crystal 120
8oz's Roasted Barley
1oz Glacier @60 min
Irish moss at 10min
Nottingham yeast.
Ended with ~5.6g in the carboy @ 1.051 OG

I ended up with about 18qt mash-in... I get al the grain in there, dump in my water, LEAK!!!.. The damn washer blew out going through the side of the cooler.. Quickly dump it all into the spare BK, off to home depot.... Run around trying find a 1 day solution, get back to the house, mash still sitting at 153 suprisingly (or so I thought).. Slap the repair in the cooler, stick the valve back on the outside, and go to dumping back into the cooler (45 minutes in at this point) when my leg starts burning.. DAMN!!! Forgot to CLOSE the valve in my rush to get it all back together... Didn't lose much..
Get a good stir on it, check the temp... 143.. DAMN!!! Check beersmith to get a correction amount.. Another 3 quarts or boiling water...
Settled in at ~153 finally... Then gave it a 90 minute mash.. WHEW!!!! Glad that's over..
Got 3.6g of 1.065 first runnings.. Then sparged up to 7.75, pre-boil was 1.042. First almost stuck sparge, I guess due to the Oats. :mad:

Took a half a quart off the end of the sparge to use as a starter. Saved another quart in the keezer for the next batch. It was down to 1028 bit I think I can boil it down next time to get it back up.. After rousing the yeasties in water for a half hour, I tossed them in ~3/4 quart runnings and left it overnight. Was churning like mad this AM, so into the carboy it went. I'll check it again in a month.
Then I'll get to playin with carbomb extras.. :D

So, my girlfriend had a very similar idea a couple weeks ago after having some Irish coffee. We're making an Irish Coffee Stout. I wish I had seen this thread before we brewed, lots of good ideas.

Over the weekend we made NB's Sweet Stout. The plan is to add Jameson, vanilla, and a little cold-pressed coffee to the secondary. I discovered hints of Cinnamon and Nutmeg as a result of lingering flavors in the fermenter from a previous brew. Hopefully their presence decreases over time, adding a subtle "hint of cinnamon on top of the cream" like nice restaurants do with Irish coffee.

I'm banking on this for my St. Patrick's Day party. Maybe I will put a little green food coloring in a few select bottles and mix them in. Whoever gets a lucky beer with the green head will receive a beating with a sheleigh.

I'll know about mine in a week or so. Right now, it's sitting in the secondary with the cocoa, vanilla bean, and Jameson mixture, (oh and a slight amount of oak chips hopefully to enhance the Jameson flavor).

I'm glad someone brought the oak chips back up. someone mentioned it early on, and then it disappeared. I haven't got a recipe down yet, but I deffinetly plan on soaking the oak chips in Jamesons for a week or so before they go into the secondary, then add a little more jamesons (1.5-2 cups) at bottling.

I'm going to attempt this as my first brew ever!

Here's what I've come up with...

6# English Pale
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Flaked Oats
1# Crystal 120L
.5# Roasted Barley

1oz Cascade (@60min)

This stout yields a ABV of about 5.3 before the Jameson and an IBU of just under 20. Hoping it turns out somewhat like Guinness Draught.

While this is in primary, I will quarter whole vanilla beans and soak them in 1 cup of Jameson. I hope the vanilla will dissolve into the whiskey and yield a natural vanilla flavor. This will be added to the brew and bottled after 3-4 weeks.

Am I missing anything? Should I find an Irish Stout extract kit for my first brew instead?

Sounds good dude! PM's are a great way to get fairly good control on the whole process.

Welcome to a hobby I also like to refer to as "Time Suck." It'll suck all your time away because you'll be having so much fun! :mug:

Decided to get an extract rather than build a mash tun. I'll be steeping the rest of the grains for 30 minutes, then adding the extract and boiling for 60 minutes.

Sound correct?!

You won't need 6# of English Pale if you are using extract. 1# plus the other grains should cover it. Do you know how much extract you are planning to use?

I'm proud of you for being so courageous for your first brew, but if it doesn't turn out, don't be discouraged. This is definitely an experiment. Good Luck!

You won't need 6# of English Pale if you are using extract. 1# plus the other grains should cover it. Do you know how much extract you are planning to use?

I'm proud of you for being so courageous for your first brew, but if it doesn't turn out, don't be discouraged. This is definitely an experiment. Good Luck!

I actually ditched the English Pale and got 6# of pale LME. Should this be okay?

Final recipe changed a bit based on what the local homebrew store had available.

6# Light/Pale LME
1# Choco Malt (Smells divine!)
1# Crystal 60
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Roasted Barley

1oz Fuggles pellets @60min.

Nottingham Yeast

ABV: 6.0 (plus the Jameson, oh boy!)
IBU: 15.6 (Aimed for high teens to match Guinness Draught)

Should be sweet: I'm excited to brew it this weekend!

Final recipe changed a bit based on what the local homebrew store had available.

6# Light/Pale LME
1# Choco Malt (Smells divine!)
1# Crystal 60
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Roasted Barley

1oz Fuggles pellets @60min.

Nottingham Yeast

ABV: 6.0 (plus the Jameson, oh boy!)
IBU: 15.6 (Aimed for high teens to match Guinness Draught)

Should be sweet: I'm excited to brew it this weekend!

Looks pretty good. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out!

for those who have attempted this, post some pics, let's see how it turned out. This idea sounds amazing!

I plan to bottle it up this weekend. The carboy has been hanging out in the garage for a couple weeks, and it's looking like the yeast have settled out nicely.

I haven't seen a discussion regarding yeast for this particular brew.

For stouts- in general- the "obvious" choice is probably the Irish Ale yeast (WLP 004).

I don't have that on hand, and might try S-04. heard good things about it on HBT for stouts. I have only used it for english pale ales.

Anyone?

I used S-04 in my batch. Pitched a couple of packets and fermentation took off like a rocket. pretty much was done in 3-4 days, though I left it on longer.

What about using this??

Hmmm....you may be on to something there, feedbag...SWMBO and I had been thinking of going with a kahlua addition to mimic the bailey's, but that just might work better! We're already adding some Jameson's infused with vanilla, a bit of oak, and other flavors, but this just might eliminate the need to do that.

Hmmm....you may be on to something there, feedbag...SWMBO and I had been thinking of going with a kahlua addition to mimic the bailey's, but that just might work better! We're already adding some Jameson's infused with vanilla, a bit of oak, and other flavors, but this just might eliminate the need to do that.

Yeah, they have all kinds of those extracts at midwest, someone could do a Amaretto Wheat, Grand Marnier Belgian Wit, Jack Daniel's Porter, or Drambuie Cream Ale. People could get real creative, but I don't know how good they actually taste.

I haven't seen a discussion regarding yeast for this particular brew.

For stouts- in general- the "obvious" choice is probably the Irish Ale yeast (WLP 004).

I don't have that on hand, and might try S-04. heard good things about it on HBT for stouts. I have only used it for english pale ales.

Anyone?

got a stout bottled right now that i used S-04. Will be ready to drink in about 3 more weeks. Also used it in a vanilla bourbon porter that turned out fastastic!

back on topic....

For this brew i'd maybe add the lactose in the boil, then the other stuff (vanilla beans, whiskey, etc) in secondary rather than bottling, just so i could get a sense of the flavor impact. eitherway, this sounds like a fantastic brew! May have to try my hand at it soon... SWMBO loves car bombs.

Pictures up...

This is from bottling today. Vanilla is there a bit, chocolate is obvious. Slightly sweet and very drinkable. I don't really notice the oak nor the Jameson though. Maybe that'll come out once it's carbed and has had a chance to sit.

PC310026.JPG

PC310028.JPG

Latest posts

Back