2 Year Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought some grain in bulk and still have about 40 pounds left. It has been stored in sealed 5 gallon buckets in my basement were the temperature is usually in the low 60's. Is it still worth keeping around and about how much longer can I expect it to last? Is there a style I could brew that could mask some of the stale flavors that my have developed?

I just found a few pounds in a plastic baggy in a box I just unpacked that may have been older that 2 years, and I just mixed it with some fresher grain and brewed with it. I hit all my numbers so it must have converted.

My base grains are a year old at this point, and I'm just as happy with the beer I've most recently finished as any other.

don't look too hard at it, you might find some critters or evidence of critters in it :^)
Almost all grain and even flour and cornmeal have a small percentage of "acceptable" contamination by "bugs", even weevils. If it has been stored in an airtight container, it is probably ok, maybe a little stale. If it's barley, add some fresh wheatand make some wheat maybe.

I bet it's just fine. I buy grain once a year when it's on sale and usually have a bag or two that don't get used until half way through the second year. I've never had any problems or off flavors. You had it sealed up in a bucket in the basement. It keeps great that way.

Agree with the above. I've used grains that were 2+ years old with no issues. Taste the grains and as long as they don't taste stale, you should be fine. Another tip is to stick smaller bags of grains in the freezer for a couple of days. This will kill any weevil eggs so you don't have them hatching out later. I will write the date I receiver my grains on the label of the bag and will put an "F" on the label after I've frozen it for a few days. Just helps me keep track of age and whether I've "treated it". Never had an issue with weevils in the bags I've frozen.

Latest posts

Back