Advice needed ASAP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Planning a brew for today and my LHBS had only dry wheat yeast. Since it had been a long time since I used one, I asked for advice. He suggested mixing a little DME with a quart of sterilized water and mixing in the yeast to start overnight. After I did I ran across the thread below about "proofing". So, did I screw up or will the yeast still work. It is definitely live, or at least it was since last night.

Thanks

If you've already done it, don't worry, it will be fine.

Out of curiosity, what kind yeast exactly did you get, and what are you brewing? Its really unusual that an lhbs would only have *one* kind of yeast and for that one kind to be a variety used for wheat beers.

Brewing a wheat beer. Was actually wanting the Wyeast German Wheat, but he was out of that one. Had to settle for the SAfbrew WB-06.

Ok, update on the starter. Last night it started up real good but today there is nothing on the top surface. Everything has settled and shows nothing like activity. Is this normal?

With a whole packet of dry yeast, and a small starter, the yeast probably finished up that fast, brew as usual and when ready to pitch, give the starter a swirl and pour it in the fermenter.

You should be fine, There will be a bit of a lag after you pitch because the yeast have eaten through all of the sugars in your starter.

Dry yeasts are really forgiving, and normally produce consistent results

I currently have 5 packets of Notty, 10 packets of S-05, and 3 packets of Danstar munnich in my fridge for the emergency repitch or an unplanned brewday. dry yeast is great to keep around, and as stated above is pretty consistant.

Just to update the situation. I dropped the suspect yeast starter into the fermenter yesterday (Sunday) at about 5pm. This morning the air lock was bubbling like the water was boiling.

Thanks to all who responded to my question!

Back