Priming and bottle conditioning sour beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hole

Reaction score
Hi
I have just bottled my first lambic style beers one kriek and one "geuse"
Especially the geuse was really sour now, around 3 pH measured with general pH strips. Prior to bottling I made a starter with 1:1 young (really sour beer, still fermenting a little) and regular starter wort with yeast nutrients and a dash of us-05.

I know it is to early to start worrying but I suddenly find I` question if us-05 will do anything to help prime this beer given the low pH?
And I wonder should I condition the bottles horizontal or vertical (natural corks and cages)?
I did not have a god warm room for the priming stage, so the bottles sits at about 15-17*C. Could this be a problem or would it just take a longer time to prime?

Any advise would be really appreciated both for this beer and for future batches.

what are you asking?

just to be clear, you bottled your beer 50/50 with UNFERMENTED starter wort? If so, a entirely new fermentation is going to occur in the bottle and IT WILL EXPLODE. If this is the case, open those bottles immediately

There is a slight chance the low pH may inhibit fermentation for a bit, but US-05 will likely not be able to prime them at such a low pH. Though if they are mixed 50/50 with fresh wort, the overall pH will be much more tolerable

The 50/50 starter wort was fermenting for one week prior to bottling. I hoped to liven up some of the Brett, but as an in pulse threw in some us-05 and hoped it would acclimate to the low pH environment.
The beer is in champagne bottles so Im more worried about low carbonation than bottle bombs.

Im also seeing some of sediments on the bottle walls as they are laying down right now. should they be standing now and laid on the side ones most yeast has settled out?

I have a 5G of Kriek that's 12 months old fermented with lambic blend and measuring 1.010. I was planning to add some T-58, 4 oz of priming sugar, and bottling this stuff. How do I know if it's done or if I should wait?

I have a 5G of Kriek that's 12 months old fermented with lambic blend and measuring 1.010. I was planning to add some T-58, 4 oz of priming sugar, and bottling this stuff. How do I know if it's done or if I should wait?

The consensus I've gathered from listening to the sour hour is to wait until you have a stable gravity for at least 2 months

I ended up bottling. After all, it sat for over a year. Been in bottles for a week now. Champagne bottles with the big 29mm caps. #fingerscrossed

Latest posts

Back